Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't transfer iBooks pdfs from first gen iPad to new MacBook Pro

I have a bunch of important pdf files on a first gen iPad (iOS 5.1.1) that I want to transfer to iBooks in a 13" MacBook Retina.

In iTunes, choosing Devices >Transfer Purchases from My iPad isn't moving them over. I've been able to transfer all the non iBooks pdfs from GoodReader, etc. In iTunes, I can see them in the Books section of "On This iPad" but can't do anything but view info.

In iBooks, choosing File >Move Books from iTunes isn't doing it either.

Syncing warns me that it's going to delete the iPad files.

I'd rather not pay for 3rd party software if I can avoid it.

Thanks.

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 16, 2014 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2014 11:08 AM

Did you try emailing them to yourself via the share/action icon in the iBooks app? They should transfer into your iTunes library anyway. From there you should be able to find them in the iTunes Library under Books and if you see them in the list, you can drag them onto the desktop, then add them to iBooks,

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2014 11:08 AM in response to bbbbbbb

Did you try emailing them to yourself via the share/action icon in the iBooks app? They should transfer into your iTunes library anyway. From there you should be able to find them in the iTunes Library under Books and if you see them in the list, you can drag them onto the desktop, then add them to iBooks,

Sep 16, 2014 12:49 PM in response to Demo

No they're not in the iTunes library. Purchased titles transferred and a few other things but a bunch of DRM-free pdfs and DRM-free EPUBS won't Budge.

"Or you don't see them with the iPad connected to the Mac, with iTunes running, the iPad selected under devices and then look in the books tab of iTunes on the right?"...

No. However, if I go a couple tabs further to the right, to "On This iPad" and select Books in the left column, they're all listed. I just can't do anything but view their info or rate them.

Sep 16, 2014 12:54 PM in response to bbbbbbb

This is what I don't understand.

This feature works only for audio, video, and apps that you purchased from the iTunes Store. Any items that you imported from audio CDs or acquired from other sources won't copy from your device to the iTunes library. However, copies of all PDFs and books from your device's iBooks app will transfer to the computer, regardless of whether they were purchased from the iBooks Store. Learn more about transferring media to your iTunes library.

I Copied that from here.

iTunes Store: Transfer purchases from your iOS device or iPod to a computer

Can't transfer iBooks pdfs from first gen iPad to new MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.