Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rotate/ flip text button unavailable!

The rotate text and flip text buttons are hashed out in numbers, so I'm un able to select them!

I access it via the format tab then arrange tab.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 16, 2014 12:01 PM

13 replies

Sep 16, 2014 2:33 PM in response to SGIII

Thanks SG for you reply.

i'm trying to change the direction of the text from horizontal to vertical ( in excel you can just select the text directional button).I am a ittle confused ... What is the diiference between text and box orientation? Do I have to insert a text box to be able to rotate and change orientation?

J.a.Bell

Sep 16, 2014 11:27 PM in response to SGIII

HI SG,

Thank you for answering my problem, you mention that it's not possible to change direction within the cell but only by insert a text box and then alter the direction ... Is this some that could be automated by AUTOMATOR App/ apple script on the Mac (not that I would have a clue how to do this! However I'm sure there would be someone clever who could.)?

Oct 2, 2014 6:19 PM in response to Richard Potter

Hi Rich,

Maybe Ian has found a way, but I'm afraid the answer is no, alas, there is not way to anchor a rotated text box to a cell.

You could, however, use the script to rotate the text, then take a picture (screenshot) of the rotated text and paste that image into the background of a cell, and it would then follow the cell. You could then delete the text box.

Not ideal, and in my limited testing, I ended up with a fuzzy image. But with care, this might be an acceptable workaround.

SG

Oct 2, 2014 8:59 PM in response to J.a.bell

When I want text rotated in a cell, this is how I do a workaround:

I type the word I want to rotate in the cell.

Then using the shortcut keys command+shift+4, I get a cross-hair cursor and use it to highlight the word as closely as possible.

When the mouse is released, a "picture" is taken of the work, which is put on the desktop.

Then open the screen shot with Preview and use this program to rotate the image. Then save it.

Then go back to the table where I want the rotated text and drag the image from my desktop to the cell where I want it.

This puts the word in the cell as if it were a picture and therefore, when the table is moved, the rotated word stays with the table.

This works for me, I hope you find it useful.

User uploaded file

mswint

rotate/ flip text button unavailable!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.