Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade iPhoto Library

I downloaded the most recent version of iPhoto version 9.5.1 I originally had an older version that was part of iLife when I purchased my macbook pro back in 2009. I have upgraded the software to the newest version OS X Version 10.9.4 When I open the new iPhoto it has a pop up that says "The photo library needs to be upgraded to work with this version of iPhoto." "Your photo library will not be readable by previous versions of iPhoto after the upgrade. The upgrade process for very large libraries may take an hour or more to complete." When I click Upgrade it shows "examining iPhoto Library" for a few seconds and then the whole app shuts off. HELP!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 16, 2014 1:54 PM

9 replies

Sep 16, 2014 3:37 PM in response to kzike

To make a backup for this purpose Make a copy of the iPhoto library - for this purpose it can be anywhere - BUT if you are not regularly doing backups then it is just a matter of time until you lose everything including your photos - bad things happen and with no backup you will lose things with no backup - you need to purchase an external hard drive formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) that is 2 to 2 1/2 times the size of your main drive and start running Time Machine all of the time so you have hourly backups

LN

Sep 21, 2014 10:16 AM in response to kzike

Give this a try:

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.>Click on the Add Library button,

User uploaded file

2 - select the library you want to add from those in the selection window.

3 - make sure that in the rebuild window the checkbox "Scavange orphaned photos" is checked.

User uploaded file

4 - now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu option

User uploaded file

5 - in the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed. Click on the Create button.

Note 1: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost.

Note 2: Your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

Upgrade iPhoto Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.