Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages app won't login to Google talk!

Not sure if others have had this problem, but when trying to set up a messages account using my google info I get a window that pops up sayingL

talk.google.com password

messages can't long in to **.gmail.com because your login ID or password is incorrect.

I have entered in the correct information and the window stays saying the information is incorrect.

Is this a bug in the system or is there a way to set up messages without using my apple id (which is used on multiple systems).

Thank you

OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Macbook Pro Late 2013

Posted on Sep 16, 2014 4:37 PM

25 replies

Nov 29, 2017 11:12 AM in response to shishir juvekar

Hi,

The only way you can tell if the Mac version of Messages is logged in is if it sends or receives iMessages.

There is no place to look up whether it is logged in or not.

From Re: My Messages application on my Mac stopped working suddenly. It won't receive or let me send messages from my computer. What should I do to fix this problem?

If you mean the iMessages account then the item in the Messages Menu about Status does not apply.

You need to have an account that has a Buddy List such as Google/Jabber (in High Sierra) and/or AIM or Bonjour in slightly earlier version and possibly Yahoo is being offered as an option in still earlier versions.

However AIM is about to finish their service In December. Yahoo ended theirs and then rewrote the App from the ground up.

The Test above involves restricting the Receive At item to just the Apple ID on the Mac.

On the iPhone restrict Send and Receive to just the iPhone Number.

Then on the Mac manually enter your iPhone Number in the "To" Spot of a New Message (it will not bring up the My Card info if you type in your own name).

Then send an iMessage to the iPhone Number.

If the iPhone does not get it then the Mac version is not logged in properly and you need the link above.

The link Mentioned is here.

If this is the case then use this Users Tip When the iMessages account will not Login

User uploaded file

7:12 pm Wednesday; November 29, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)

May 10, 2017 2:40 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I know this thread is a few years old, but I just encountered this problem in Sierra. After resetting passwords for multiple accounts (iCloud and Google), all Google-related services were syncing again fine (Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Notes), but not Jabber/Google Talk. When trying to connect in Messages, I was consistently faced with a login dialog that rejected my password.

Ralph's solution did the trick. I launched Keychain Access and deleted all Jabber-related entries for that account from all keychains. Relaunched Messages, encountered the login dialog once more, and it accepted my password at last.

Sep 26, 2014 11:18 AM in response to Matt Clifton

Hi Matt,

Whilst Google do have their eye on some third party apps across several platforms there is also the on-going issues between the two firms.

As to whether it is malicious in any sense is open to question.

As I have said (in another thread) I found the setting made but don't remember ever changing it.

But I have been using th Google talk server since iChat 3 came out when you had to change the server name after adding the account.

Realistically we would be speculating.

User uploaded file

7:18 pm Friday; September 26, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Sep 26, 2014 12:17 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Reading around the issue, it looks like Google is enforcing OAuth 2.0 token exchange on its own apps and protocols, which is something that Messages and other third-party apps (e.g. Thunderbird) don't yet support.

So yes, turning on access for "less secure apps" gets around it, and that does still use SSL to communicate with Google and so remains as secure as anything has been up to now; OAuth 2 would get around the requirement to send user name and password each time you check for mail (which could theoretically be intercepted by an SSL breach).

Matt

Sep 26, 2014 12:53 PM in response to Matt Clifton

Thanks for that Matt.

I did go looking but the Google site about Less Secure apps did not make it clear what they were using.

User uploaded file

8:53 pm Friday; September 26, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Dec 2, 2014 1:28 PM in response to jschwietert

Hi,

That would seem to be new info as checking people had Application Specific passwords had been checked in several threads before and people said that had set these.

Possibly they had only set the @ Set Verification and not proceeded for ALL apps they were using.

User uploaded file

9:28 PM Tuesday; December 2, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Dec 6, 2014 10:58 AM in response to MacUser-70

I am having the same problem. When I go to the login window I get that same error message but then it seems like I have logged in successfully (see attached). I have the less secure app selection dialed in now, and I am not using two-step verification.

The problem that I am having now is that every message I try to send comes back as a "not delivered"

Dec 6, 2014 12:46 PM in response to eyerah28

Hi,

I did it like this.

Want to the Webmail login page and logged in to see my Mail there.

Top right is your account name and it is a drop down.

Select Account in that drop down

Select Security (tab) in the next page.

User uploaded file

8:45 PM Saturday; December 6, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Apr 21, 2015 12:29 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Same problems here – running Yosemite.

Was never an issue before, but since running that Google Security check (that gave you extra space), I'm hitting problems.

To be fair – not sure if that's where the problem lies, but it's the only thing I can think of that changed in between now, and the end of February, when it was still working...

Over at Preferences/Internet Accounts – all 4 Google accounts are listed. 3 of the 4 work – the 4th, despite using the correct password, I am told "Google Authentication failed"...

Over in iMessages, all 4 accounts are switched off. Turning them only, calls up the password field – entering the passwords, and I get the "incorrect username/password message".

Back over in Gmail – ALL 4 account settings have the "use less secure apps activated" – so this shouldn't be the issue?...

Any suggestions?

Remove the 4 GMAIL accounts, and reactivate them maybe?

Apr 21, 2015 1:14 PM in response to Neal_Cassady

hi,

In Keychain Access you can look at the Keychain (It is in Applications/Utilities)

In the Keychain in Passwords (lower left choices box) the info on the right should then be the save passwords.

It also include authorisation tokens from Google.

Try deleting the one for the account that will not login.

User uploaded file

9:14 pm Tuesday; April 21, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Apr 21, 2015 1:26 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Appreciate the prompt reply, Ralph!

I have it sorted now – removed all the Gmail accounts, and then re-loaded them. That appears to have done the trick.

Not sure where the problem was, but it's pulling all through into Mail.app now, and they're all working (authentication kicked through).

Regarding Messages – the idiot in this scenario, is currently typing this post.

I had to create a new iCloud account a few months back – was suffering from terrible data consumption, with Documents & Sync burning through 4G, with the phone simply sitting on the desk (and every conceivable Wifi Only toggle triggered)... Something was corrupted somewhere, and iCloud on my phone, kept trying to call home to the mothership.

Upon the new iCloud account being created – I correctly signed in to the new account in Messages on the iPad, Mac mini and MBP – but somehow missed the most obvious one, the iPhone. Digging deeper this evening, and I only noticed now that the iPhone's Messages settings were still linked to the original iCloud account.

I signed in to the new one, lost a few weeks worth of messages, but all is now syncing as it used to! 🙂

Blushes aside, just glad I've got it working again. Many thanks regardless.

Messages app won't login to Google talk!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.