Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My ipod touch 5th gen won't restore

It's running IOS 7.1.2. I tried restoring it from itunes on my computer, didn't work (it would just say something like "failed to download update package). I tried the "erase all content and settings" from the ipod touch settings, still didn't work (all it would do is show the spinning power off thing). The last thing I tried was using the "find my device" feature to erase everything from my ipod touch, and now it just goes in a loop. It goes to the power off spinning wheel. I'll press and hold the home and sleep buttons to bring it back to the "slide to unlock" screen, then it tries to restore itself, only to go in a loop. What should I do?

iPod touch, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 12:32 AM

1 reply

Sep 17, 2014 1:05 AM in response to Chris135x

Try:

- iOS: Not responding or does not turn on

- Also try DFU mode after try recovery mode

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

- If not successful and you can't fully turn the iOS device fully off, let the battery fully drain. After charging for an least an hour try the above again.

- Try another cable

- Try on another computer

- If still not successful that usually indicates a hardware problem and an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store is in order.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

And maybe:

Update Server

Try:

- Powering off and then back on your router.

- iTunes for Windows: iTunes cannot contact the iPhone, iPad, or iPod software update server

- Change the DNS to either Google's or Open DNS servers

Public DNS — Google Developers

OpenDNS IP Addresses

- For one user uninstalling/reinstalling iTunes resolved the problem

- Try on another computer/network

- Wait if it is an Apple problem

My ipod touch 5th gen won't restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.