Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movies rented on a Mac Book are not recognized by Apple TV

I rented a movie via iTunes on my new Mac Book Pro. I would like to watch it on my Gen 2 Apple TV but it does not appear in the Movies area. Home Sharing is working because Apple TV can find my photos. Do you have to rent movies through the Apple TV in order to watch them on that device? Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 7.1.2, New Mac Book Pro

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 11:28 AM

7 replies

Sep 18, 2014 2:26 PM in response to wyeast

Hello wyeast,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

You can watch the movie on the device you used to rent it. Please see the following support article for more information about renting movies from the iTunes Store.

Where can I watch movies that I rented?

• Mac or PC
  • iPhone, iPad, iPod touch (with iOS 3.1.3 or later)
  • iPod classic, iPod nano (3rd, 4th, or 5th generation)
  • TV using Apple TV

Watch your movie on the device you used to rent it. If you rented the movie on your computer, you can move it to an iOS device or Apple TV (1st generation). To do this, connect the devices and sync using USB. When you move a rented movie from your computer, it will disappear from your computer’s iTunes library. You can move the movie between devices as much as you want, but you can only have it on one device at a time.

If you rented the movie on your iOS device or Apple TV, you can’t move it to any other device.

To watch an HD movie, you need to play it on a supported device: your computer, iPhone 4 or later, iPad, iPod touch (4th generation or later), or TV using Apple TV.

You can’t stream a rented movie from your computer to your Apple TV using AirPlay because it’s DRM (Digital Rights Management) protected content.

FAQs about renting movies from the iTunes Store

Take care,

Alex H.

Sep 18, 2014 3:20 PM in response to Alley_Cat

Thanks for the responses. Alley_Cat, based on what I am seeing, Alex's response appears to be correct. The movie is downloaded to the Mac, Home Sharing is enabled but the rental cannot be found even after using the Settings option to check for Rentals. As Alex suggests, it looks like l am limited to only watch the rental on the device that was connected to the store to make the rental. That is really surprising and disappointing to me. It seems like I should be able to watch a rental that was purchased with my account on any device that is active using that same account. So much for the excellent integration of Apple products that some people seem to rave about.

Sep 18, 2014 3:43 PM in response to wyeast

With an Apple TV 2, you can rent movies on a computer and watch it via home sharing on the Apple TV. However just as Alley Cat suggests, it needs to be fully downloaded to the computer before it will show up on the Apple TV. Additionally with the Apple TV 2, you need to ensure you that you are trying to watch a 720p movie and not a 1080p movie. Finally make sure you are looking under rentals in the computers section of the Apple TV and not the movies section.

Movies rented on a Mac Book are not recognized by Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.