Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 apps run in background when set not to.

Since upgrading to iOS 8, apps have been launching themselves in the background despite being set not to in the "Background Apps Refresh" settings page.

I've noticed that that page no longer mentions anything about apps using Location Service. That setting has apparently been moved to the Location Services page with each app now having an option to either "Always" allow location services or "Never" allow location services. The former says it allows apps to use location services in the background, but why would they do so if the "Background Refresh" for the apps is set to off?

This can't be the way it's supposed to work since the "Background App Refresh" settings now do absolutely nothing. Other than settings the Location Services setting to "Never" which would break apps when I run them, how can I keep apps from running in the background under iOS 8?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.3, AT&T 32 GB

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 12:48 PM

6 replies

Sep 19, 2014 3:50 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

I have an app installed that shows running processes on my phone and I can see them running even though I force killed them.

I fixed this for a few different apps by either uninstalling and reinstalling them (Yahoo Weather) or turning off GPS functionality inside the apps setting (Google). Still I don't like this change as apps can apparently request Location Data any time they want, even when they have never been manually launched.

iOS 8 apps run in background when set not to.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.