Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 8 keyboard landscape Ipad Air

Hi All,

Just updated to iOS 8 and noticed what I assume is a bug. When messaging and your iPad is in landscape mode, touching the chat bar causes the keyboard to appear but also to cover the bottom most messages and the chat bar so you can't see what you type. If you turn the iPad to portrait mode and back again it seems to resolve. Anyone else experience this?

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 11:40 AM

12 replies

Sep 17, 2014 12:16 PM in response to vrr2536

Are you sure that you don't have the split keyboard feature enabled?

If the keyboard is split and covering your text, Pull the two ends of the keyboard together - into the middle of the screen. You can also tap and hold down on the little keyboard icon in the lower right corner of the keyboard and select - Dock and Merge.

If the keyboard is up on the middle of the screen, but not split, and you want to move it back to the bottom - tap and hold down on the little keyboard and icon and select - Dock

You can turn the split keyboard off in Settings>General>Keyboard>Split Keyboard>Off.

Sep 17, 2014 1:13 PM in response to vrr2536

That's a little bit different than what I am talking about. I don't know why you are seeing that, but try something real basic, close the Messages app and reset your iPad. You will not lose any data.

In order to close apps in iOS 8, you have to drag the app up from the multitasking display. Double tap the home button and you will see apps lined up going left to right across the screen. Swipe to get to the app that you want to close and then swipe "up" on the app preview thumbnail to close it.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

Feb 27, 2015 8:46 AM in response to vrr2536

I am having the same issue. I exchanged the device and the problem persists. I called Apple they said it's a "know issue" that they are working on. That was over two months ago. This is how I use this device's keyboard 100% of the time!!!

They have only seen this on the iPad Air (ver 1). This device is no longer returnable and no longer being produced. So now have ZERO monetary reason to devote ANY resources to fix this product/issue. I am beyond livid. This product was functioning fine when I bought it and now they have made it defective and will not allow me to return it for a functioning model AND it's still covered under AppleCare Plus! So if I destroyed this device they'd replace it no questions asked, but if APPLE destroys it ... tough ****, deal with it.

Totally unacceptable. It's to bad the Android EcoSystem ***** or I'd vacate this ********.

Perhaps the worlds greatest Industrial Designer has reached the Peter Principle proven out because things no longer "just work" and they no longer have decent/reasonable customer service.

Replace this model or fix it TODAY!!!

ios 8 keyboard landscape Ipad Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.