Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't leave conversations in messages

Why doesn't leaving anyones conversation or muting a conversation work in messages??

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 1:07 PM

15 replies

Sep 17, 2014 2:38 PM in response to Speg 77

I'm having the same issue, i select "leave this conversation", and i still receive all messages. I tried rebooting, nothing changes. I suspect the chat that I'm in with about 10 users are all on different operating systems. Seems useless if it will only works if all members of the chat have ios8. Bummed about this. Looking forward to a response from Apple.

Sep 19, 2014 3:13 PM in response to razmee209

My 2 sons and I have a group conversation going on. We are all on ios8. one of my sons says the "leave this conversation" tab is greyed out. I don't see this on my details. I am on 5S, while they are both on new 6's. Seems that this feature is buggy, and even with 3 people on ios 8, one can't leave, one can't see the option and one is happily ignorant. Seems the best way to leave conversation is when all conversants stop the conversation and go to individual texting, which completely negates the group conversation idea and the intended purpose of the "leave this conversation" option. Bug #1 so far for me and ios 8. I do like the auto text feature and the voice recognition on the fly rather than at the end pushing the end button....

Sep 22, 2014 6:31 AM in response to In Denver

I just worked with a senior advisor at Apple concerning this issue. It turns out that all participants must be on iOS8 which all of mine were but the conversation must be between at least 4 individuals. The logic is that if the group only contains three people and one person leaves then it is no longer a group conversation. So if you have a group conversation with four people and one leaves the other three are stuck in the group message and can't leave. I tested this out and I was able to leave once we had a fourth member in the group message but once I left everyone else was stuck in the conversation. The advisor told me that the logic wasn't there yet to change a group message to a single chat.

Dec 11, 2014 1:51 PM in response to Speg 77

Here's a slight workaround with this whole 3's a crowd and 4's a group problem we have on our hands.... I started with simply adding someone else to the group however, that includes them for all further messages between the party, however allowing you the option to now leave as there will be a 4th person in your "group" now. This can be really fun or can turn out to be annoying or even problematic down the line, depending who you chose to bring in the chat. That said, while writing this I think I'm going to experiment with creating a fake contact just for this purpose. It would be easy just to plug in some random information and save it to contacts under something simple to remember. Then when you find yourself stuck in a threesome that's just not right for you, you'll have a sly escape plan to sneak out the back door. Let me know if anyone tries this out and what your findings or success stories are.

Steve

Aug 2, 2015 8:54 AM in response to OverModulated

OverModulated, this is a good start, but finding a rando that happens to have iOS 8/iMessage to add could be tough. My work around that piggy backs off of your idea is this:

My mom loves to start group conversations with my sister and I. We are all on iOS 8, but I cannot leave the conversation since it's only the three of us. I click add, scroll down to my mom's iCloud email address, select and add, then immediately leave the conversation. Generally, anyone who has iOS 8 will have an iCloud email associated that will be available to add to the conversation they started. So not only do you get out of the conversation, but the person who started the group conversation will now get double messaged every time something is said. SCORE!

LEAVE ME ALONE MOM!!! LET ME LIVE MY LIFE! MY JEANS ARE NOT TOO TIGHT! (i love you)

Can't leave conversations in messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.