Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert existing Apple ID to Child Apple ID

Hello Everyone,

Due to the number of Apple devices in our home, and being personalized to each other my children (both under 13) have their own Apple devices. Because my wife and I did not want them to have access to our accounts, I created separate Apple IDs with their names and my date of birth, but I manage (They don't know passwords, etc). so that they could use facetime and iMessage with their grandparents from their own devices. As they have gotten older, they have also developed their own taste in music and apps and have used the different Apple IDs with iTunes cards they get for gifts sometimes and as rewards.

With the roll out of iOS and Family sharing I now have a situation where it would be nice to share some (not all) of the purchases spread across 4 accounts but when I add my children's accounts under family sharing it shows them as adults , Appleid.apple.com wont allow me to modify the birthdays for my kids to the correct dates.

I know for a fact I am not the only one in this situation, so I'm asking the following

Is there a way to convert my kid's existing Apple IDs to the new Child Apple ID accounts so that I can approve iTunes purchases if I link them through family sharing?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 6:19 PM

I am going through the same thing. It's extremely aggravating not being able to control my 13 and 10 year olds accounts because it lists them as adults. If I create a new child's account it will just cause mass confusion because of all the purchases I've already made through their accounts. Apple needs to fix this with the update.

104 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2014 6:19 PM in response to bryans83

I am going through the same thing. It's extremely aggravating not being able to control my 13 and 10 year olds accounts because it lists them as adults. If I create a new child's account it will just cause mass confusion because of all the purchases I've already made through their accounts. Apple needs to fix this with the update.

Sep 20, 2014 12:00 AM in response to reidonly

reidonly wrote:

Your opinion is very special.

Parents did not have to lie about their childrens' ages.

Correct, they did not have to lie, but as evidenced by this thread many did, even told each other how to.

I detest liars, especially when they are doing it about their own children.

Did you make up a false age for your child?

Sep 17, 2014 4:31 PM in response to bryans83

I need to do this as well. The only option I've come up with would be creating new Apple IDs for them and importing their few contacts, etc., from the old one to the new one. Really don't want to do that though, as I set them up good email addresses the first time around and I don't want them to lose those. Kind of frustrating. Hopefully a fix is coming soon.

Sep 17, 2014 4:54 PM in response to bryans83

I just got off the phone with Apple Support. He said that we, nor they, can covert adult accounts to child accounts. So we are either stuck having them listed as adults and not able to use Ask to Buy, or we have to create new Child IDs for them. Ideally we as Organizers could turn on Ask to Buy for ANY family member, not just kids, but I'm not seeing that as an option for those listed as adults.

Sep 17, 2014 6:44 PM in response to olancaster

Go to :

https://appleid.apple.com/account/home

Login

Go to Password and Security - enter in the Security questions

Scroll to the bottom and it will let you select a birthday.

Change B-day to something in 2001

Then enable family sharing on the parent ipad/iphone in the settings.

Add the account to family sharing on the parent device,then enter settings and turn on "ask to buy"

Sep 17, 2014 7:24 PM in response to karl147

You cannot make the person younger than 13. 13 is the youngest somebody could have an appleid under the old system. Under the new system you have to create the childs id from within "Family Sharing" within iCloud. If the person already exists with a fake dob, ie an adults, then the best you can do is make them 13. I noticed that a new child id under family sharing must use an @icloud email address. You can't change it.

Convert existing Apple ID to Child Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.