Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS8 update gone wrong

Could do with some help please. While updating my phone to ios8 my laptop decided to shut down (got a dodgy battery and didn't realise the cable had fallen out). When I got back in to itunes my phone had the connect to itunes picture and when I do try and connect itunes just says "The iphone software server could not be contacted", and my phone isn't showing up to access.

Tried resetting both phone and laptop and nothing so far. At the moment I cant access my phone either through itunes or the phone itself. Any advice greatly appreciated!

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 1:02 PM

3 replies

Sep 17, 2014 1:17 PM in response to wbabbington

Hi wbabbington,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like there may be an issue with iTunes contacting the iPhone software update server from your computer. The article linked below provides a lot of great troubleshooting suggestions that will resolve most of the configuration issues that can prevent iTunes from communicating with the update servers.

iTunes for Windows: iTunes can't contact the iPhone, iPad, or iPod software update server

I hope this helps.

-Jason

Sep 17, 2014 2:14 PM in response to Jason L

Hi Jason, thanks for that info. I've tried all of that but hasn't made any difference. I have been able to get to the 'iPhone recovery mode' option but after extracting the software and trying to do something for a few minutes I get an 'unknown error' message.

Again tried, resetting everything and everything is up to date. My wife's phone works fine with iTunes and updated hers with no issues.

Sep 17, 2014 2:28 PM in response to wbabbington

wbabbington wrote:

I have been able to get to the 'iPhone recovery mode' option but after extracting the software and trying to do something for a few minutes I get an 'unknown error' message.

The article linked below addresses specific error numbers that are associated with those alert messages. Try looking for the number that appears in the alert on your computer and follow along with the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Resolve iOS update and restore errors

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694

-Jason

iOS8 update gone wrong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.