Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Full screen caller id in ios8?

I thought that full screen caller id images would be back in ios 8. Am i missing a setting or something?

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 2:27 PM

23 replies

Sep 17, 2014 3:05 PM in response to joshthx1138

I haven't been able to find a way yet. As far as I am aware there was no official announcement from Apple that the full screen images would be back -- just a lot of people, including me, thinking that it would be based on some of the images in the their iOS 8 preview website. I'm still hoping that there is a way that I haven't yet found.

Sep 17, 2014 5:15 PM in response to joshthx1138

Hi,

I just upgraded to ios 8 few mins back and the full screen ID works fine now. When I downloaded and some one called me, it showed the same ios 7 screen (with a small thumbnail on top). After a while, it started to show full screen on its own! So now my friend faces the same problem as you people are facing.

So full screen caller DOES work on ios 8. How? Still thinking.

P.S: I had updated Facebook (and have background app refresh set to ON) before I noticed the full screen caller ID. I tried on my friends, it hasn't worked yet.

Sep 17, 2014 5:40 PM in response to Community User

Ok, here's a fix,

manually update your contact's pic and try. The other iphone 5s is working now. He changed my display pic to a different one and now when I call him, I show up full screen!

Let me know if that helps.

Sep 19, 2014 7:30 AM in response to joshthx1138

Changing the photo did the trick for me, too. I think the kicker is that the picture you have assigned to your contact needs to still be on your Camera Roll. The pic I had for my daughter's contact had been migrated off a long time ago, so I was still getting the thumbnail for the caller ID pic. My wife's contact picture was/is still in my Camera Roll and it reverted back to the full screen caller ID without needing to edit.

Oct 9, 2014 10:48 AM in response to FoxFifth

Hmm it seems to be a little buggy (still)...

Here is my scenario...

My iPhone 5S (iOS 8.0.2) = showing full screen caller photos (I have not done anything else other than update the phone)

My mother-in-laws iPhone 5S (iOS 8.0.2) = still showing the small caller photos from iOS 7 (have not done anything else than update the phone)

I will now try updating my contact pic on her phone and check if that did the trick.

*UPDATE*

Tried updating my contact pic on my mother in laws phone and that did the trick... now it is showing my picture in full screen.

Strange... very strange

Oct 12, 2014 4:10 PM in response to JFlindt

Confirmed!

The photo in full size must be on your iphone in order to work. A quick way to find up is to go into the Contacts app, open the desired contact and touch the contact photo. If the full size photo is still on your phone it will open it in full size. If nothing will happen, select a new photo from your camera roll and voila!

Thanks all for the previous testing !

Nov 12, 2014 6:14 AM in response to joshthx1138

Ok, I found the solution. It is stupid, but works fine. You must either take a picture with iPhone, then crop it to the screen size using Photo app, and add it as contact profile, or something else that I like more, is using Photoshop. For example iPhone 5 to 5S wallpaper size should be (W) 640X (H) 1136. So I have made a template in 640X1136 PSD format and insert pictures that I want to use as contact picture. Then I crop the layer to the size I want to be shown in frame, I use filters that I want to make it more beautiful when he/she calls, then save it as Jpg file. Then I have made a Contact photo folder in iPhoto and upload those that I want in iCloud Photos, and finally in iPhone, I add them to the required contacts. When callers ID shows, the picture is shown in full screen. I know, it is complicated and I believe in iOS6 it was more handy I really have no idea why Apple has made it so, anyway I use it the way as I explained. Enjoy.

Dec 15, 2014 9:26 AM in response to joshthx1138

I just bought an iPhone6 that came loaded with 8.1.0. Once I picked an image to use with a contact, it always came up full screen when they called. Then I upgraded to 8.1.2 and I only got a thumbnail. I read a post on this thread stating to re-select the image for the contact to get it to work again. This did get it to work again. The other thing that disappeared when I upgraded is the haptic feedback when typing on the keyboard. I am still trying to get this back if anyone has suggestions.

Jan 10, 2015 12:02 PM in response to Poynetian

The foibles of getting full-screen caller ID photo to work in iOS 8.1.2 are many. About the time I think I've got it figured out, the thumb nails return. Each time I sync my contact list with Outlook, the thumbnails return. I've checked to see if I'm using the same photo that's on my iPhone, but it doesn't seem to matter. Every time I sync, I have to re-establish the photo again in contacts for full screen to work. Anyone have a work-around for this? Does anyone know if Apple has every addressed the workings of full-screen caller ID.

Full screen caller id in ios8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.