Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Sharing when having different accounts for purchasing and iCloud

I have two Apple ID accounts. One that I use for making iTunes purchases (which I had way before @me.com or @icloud.com existed) and the new @icloud.com account that I use for everything iCloud related (Messages, backups, etc).

Now that Family Sharing exists, I want to bring my kids and my wife into the plan, but from what I've seen, I wouldn't be able to use my icloud.com address since all my purchases are on the other Apple ID. The problem is that either I would need to stop using my icloud.com ID or purchase everything again?

I know one of the most requested features has been to be able to merge accounts and I know I am not the only one in this situation. Is there a way in iOS 8 Family Sharing to do just that? I wouldn't mind removing my old Apple ID account as long as I can transfer all my purchases to the new icloud.com ID.

Otherwise, I guess Family Sharing is out for me (and for everyone who is on the same boat of having 2 different Apple IDs).

iPhone 5, iOS 8, 64GB, Unlocked

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 3:22 PM

66 replies

Sep 18, 2014 5:03 AM in response to JavaGeek

Similar situation: I have one Apple ID for purchases that I share with my wife. We each have separate Apple IDs for iCloud services.

I am thinking that we use the shared purchase Apple ID as the organizer and invite our iCloud Apple IDs. The only issue seems to be that you must first log into the purchases/organizer ID on an iOS device, to start the invitations. I'm going to try this if I can find time today.

Sep 18, 2014 10:44 AM in response to ckuan

From what I understand, you use only one credit card if you use family sharing. The organizer requires a credit/debit card registered to his account, and any additional member will use the registered card for purchases (with optional authorization).

I thought about what jd2020 said, which is use the Apple ID I use for purchases as the organizer, and then add my iCloud account as a family "member", but I'd have to use the older account as my main user on my iDevices. Unfortunately my iCloud account is the one that I use to pay for the now grandfathered annual iCloud 20GB space, so I need my second account to be the main account on my devices.

If merging accounts is too difficult for Apple to do, it would be nice (and the problem would be solved) if you could at least transfer purchases between accounts. That would solve most problems of people that have 2 accounts like I do.

Sep 18, 2014 1:16 PM in response to JavaGeek

Yes. Ditto for me. I have had an Apple ID since 2004 (pre-@me). All my purchases are still associated with that account. My wife and I share that account to make iTunes purchases (music, movies, etc.), but also have individual @me (iCloud) accounts for mail, messages, iCloud files, etc. I thought that with Family Sharing I would be able to finally rid myself of having to manage that old Apple ID just for purchases, but not so. If anyone figures out how to do this I would love to know. Why is it so difficult for Apple to just allow transferring purchases to another account or "merge" accounts.

I was actually thinking of doing exactly what jd2020 suggested, but then realized I would have to tie e an iOS device to that old account, which I don't want to do.

It seems that they are so innovative in certain areas to blaze forward and abandon old outdated ideas, but in others they remain so stubborn....this being one.

Sep 18, 2014 2:33 PM in response to Al_M

Gents, you seem to be reading too much into this. I don't see any need to stay logged in to the organizing account.

Earlier today I signed out of iCloud on my iPad mini, then signed into iCloud with my iTunes purchase Apple ID (which then converts that account into an iCloud account, if it wasn't already). Then I activated Family Sharing and invited my primary iCloud email address and my wife's email. Then I signed out and re-connected to my primary iCloud account. Seems to be all set.

In fact, I am now logged into the store with the "purchasing" Apple ID, which is how I used to do it before. You enter the "purchasing" account password to confirm the connection, I believe. This is how I operated before -- both of us logged into the various Apple Stores with the purchasing account. Now you don't have to re-log in to that account account when purchasing, I suspect.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Sep 18, 2014 2:59 PM in response to jd2020

I was in fact missing something. I was still logged into the stores using my "purchase" ID. When I tried to make a purchase I was prompted for the "purchase" ID not my iCloud (Family Share) ID. So, I logged out of the Stores tab and signed in with the iCloud ID. Then you're prompted to verify your purchase info. Initially "None" was checked on a list of credit card types. I thought that's what it should be. Then click done.

When I tried to make a purchase I was sent to Identity Verification (because of 2 factor authentication). After getting the code I was returned to enter payment (credit card) info. So all this was for nothing. Definitely not working. I found that when you check Settings at www.iCloud.com it tells me about Family Sharing, but says "To manage Family Sharing go to Settings on your iOS device or System Preferences on your Mac." -- Ugh!

My understanding is that adult accounts require no approval, so this procedure should have worked, no? Now I'm probably going back to just using the other account for Store purchasing -- both of us logged into the various Apple Stores with the purchasing account.

Sep 18, 2014 4:02 PM in response to jd2020

This is from another website, it seems to suggest that you can use your iCloud email for the family sharing organiser but assign your iTunes buying id to it (like you probably used ios7 with two different usernames, then add family members, hopefully this does work like this otherwise i am in the same boat as the rest of you wondering why Apple won't merge ids!

1. To start the process, you need to go to Settings > iCloud, then tap Set Up Family Sharing...
  2. At the next screen, tap Get Started.
  3. To continue with the logged in iTunes account, tap continue, or tap theUse a different ID text at the bottom of the screen to change your account.
  4. The next screen confirms the details of family sharing, and the screen after that confirms your payment details. Press Continue both times.
  5. You can then choose to share your location with a family member. Tap either Share your location, or Not now, depending on your preferences.
  6. Next, tap Add family member.
  7. Now, enter the family member's email address, and tap Next. Confirm your iTunes ID and tap Continue. This will send an invitation for your family member to join.

Sep 19, 2014 3:06 AM in response to smokefortyaday

Ok teach me to believe stuff I read on the Internet!! But I did get it to work.

So how in effect it is not working much differently to the old way under ios7 that worried me when iTunes Match was going to use "icloud" and not my existing Apple ID. But as we all found out we could use our @me.com or @icloud.com address for all they syncing stuff and then further down there was an option for your iTunes store account where most of us used our old iTunes Store account.

So after reading this thread and many similar articles on new family sharing I thought we may have the same issue, but it seems we are ok.

How I did it:

1) Set up Family Sharing,

2) when asked for AppleID enter my @me.com address and password

3) click next, it asks what AppleID to use for Store purchases for the family, here I entered my old store id which is so old is actually just a username.

4) confirm payment card

This seems to have worked, my purchases through AppStore are still made through my old id and all family purchases will be made through that id too.

But as far as my family are concerned @me.com addy is the organiser.

I have yet to set up family members but I trust Apple that it will work they haven't let me down yet (apart from the mucking around with Photostream that they seem to have done).

Also you can check in your settings whether it is set up correctly, go to Family Sharing via icloud settings, click on your name as organiser, it should show what AppleID your family purchases are made through, mine shows my normal AppStore ID, when I get home I'll upload some screenshots (once edited out my details!)

Sep 19, 2014 11:06 AM in response to jd2020

STOP! Be careful how you "undo" the family sharing from one account or another. I tried to do this and got "locked out" of being able to join family sharing for 364 days. I have (as many other people do) a support case opened right now to have this restriction removed.

See this thread here : Locked out of Family Sharing for 364 days

Apparently you are limited to leaving or joining a family group only twice in one year.

Sep 19, 2014 12:58 PM in response to smokefortyaday

Ok here goes

In Settings under iCloud, click on Family Sharing

The page will look something like this:

User uploaded file

As you can see I am the organiser and the payment method is shown below.

If you click on your name as Organiser you will see the following:

User uploaded file

As you can hopefully see (apart from the bits I have blurred) my AppleID as Family Organiser is my @me.com address.

The Family Purchases line is my AppleID for iTunes purchases, if you click on this ID it is changeable, so for example if you have by mistake used your iCloud address but you have another iTunes account, you should change the ID under Family Purchases to your normal iTunes store ID.

Now i could do this when i initially setup the Family Sharing, once i had told it i wanted to use my @me.com address as organiser when i went to next page i could choose the Account to use for Family Purchases, at that point i entered my AppleID and password for iTunes Store purchases.

Hopefully that helps those still struggling with this.

Family Sharing when having different accounts for purchasing and iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.