Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro doesn't start up properly

I was on my macbook pro (which was very low on battery power) and once I was finished I put it to sleep by closing it, coincidently just moments before it was about to die. So I plugged it in, but when I returned to it some hours later, it wasn't responding when I clicked the mouse (I was confused because I hadn't shut it down but perhaps this was because it had died). When I clicked the power button it opened up directly to the sign in screen except it was all grey, distorted and momentarily frozen (the pinwheel was present for some time). After some moments it began working properly again. ANYWAYS the reason I'm so worried is because I literally just got the computer at most 3 weeks ago (I ordered it online from Apple). Should this be concerning me considering how new it is??

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 5:06 PM

1 reply

Sep 17, 2014 5:12 PM in response to Emina314

Probably nothing to worry about. However, you should never allow the battery to run down below 10% without connecting it to the charger. Doing so can damage the battery or at least shorten its life.

About Batteries in Modern Apple Laptops

Battery University

Apple - Batteries - Notebooks

Apple - Batteries

Extending the Life of Your Laptop Battery

MacBook and MacBook Pro- Mac reduces processor speed when battery is removed while operating from an A-C adaptor

Apple Portables- Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance

Mac notebooks- Determining battery cycle count

Macbook Pro doesn't start up properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.