Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone not recognized by image capture or iPhoto

Hey all,

all my software on my iMac is updated. I'm trying to pull photos off my iPhone 4s to my iPhoto library. But iPhoto doesn't show my iPhone in the source list. I go into image capture and it doesn't see anything either.

iTunes sees my iPhone just fine.

any suggestions?

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2017 12:30 PM

I'm writing this in Sept. 2017. I had this problem with my iPhone 7. After trying lots of stuff that didn't work, I tried using an authentic Apple lightning cable, instead of the cheap one from Amazon. That worked, and I went back and forth to reproduce it. That was the issue. BTW - I have Mavericks OS 10.9.5

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2017 12:30 PM in response to P_Jay

I'm writing this in Sept. 2017. I had this problem with my iPhone 7. After trying lots of stuff that didn't work, I tried using an authentic Apple lightning cable, instead of the cheap one from Amazon. That worked, and I went back and forth to reproduce it. That was the issue. BTW - I have Mavericks OS 10.9.5

Dec 18, 2017 11:17 AM in response to virtuallw

I experienced the same. With 3rd party cable I plug the iPhone to the Mac. Image Capture app starts up as I have selected. App sees all photo filenames on IPhone and offers to transfer them. It doesn't load any file icons of pictures. Then when I click Import it just sits and spins forever with no message to clue me to the fact that it is doing nothing.

So, I switch to an authentic Apple cable and it works normally.

This is why I still run Windoze even though my wife has switched to Apple, because of things like this. Times when the user has no way of figuring out what is going on. And even when I figure something out it makes no sense except to conclude that Apple is still secretly trying to punish me for buying non-apple products.

Sep 19, 2014 11:15 AM in response to P_Jay

Try this fix posted by user Robin Johnson:

Robin Johnson

Re: ios update problem - 7.1 11D167 iphoto not picking up new photos

This solved my questionRe: ios update problem - 7.1 11D167 iphoto not picking up new photos

Mar 20, 2014 7:15 AM (in response to JdinPa)

I figured out the fix for the Mac users having this problem. I connected my iPhone to my iMac and started iTunes. A dialogue came up in iTunes, I OK'd that and then OK'd the usual "Do you trust this Mac" that comes up on my iPhone.

Suddenly Image Capture launched itself and there were all my photos, ready to be downloaded.

User uploaded file

Feb 18, 2015 3:37 PM in response to P_Jay

Hey all,

Try restarting your devices (both mac and iPhone). Additionally see if iCloud Photo Library (beta) is turned on. If it is you will need to select download and keep originals (which might need lots of additional space) to get the images downloaded back to your actual device and not to be in the cloud. After all your photos are back on your device you can turn off iCloud Photo Library, then restart your device, then your photos should be recognized with image capture or iPhoto or whatever you are trying to use. Third option is to go to iCloud.com, log in, click on photos and let it build your library (can take a WHILE if it is your first time) and then download them from there onto your computer if all your images are in iCloud.

Just some suggestions that worked for me! Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Austin

May 19, 2016 10:05 AM in response to P_Jay

i tried all the suggestions here, but am still not able to get this to work. to be clear, sync'ing was working fine up until about 3 weeks ago. i have not updated anything on my mac pro or on my iphone. it just stopped working.

turning off the iphone, restarting my mac pro, and then restarting iphone does make the iphone appear in iPhoto. but, it shows up with ZERO photos and nothing to sync. so, although it is being detected, it's still not able to sync anything.

i've tried different cables, but that doesn't make any difference. if you think about it, iTunes is sync'ing perfectly fine. So, the cable doesn't seem like the issue.

has Apple Support released any useful info or any help on this? It's extremely frustrating and annoying that nowadays Apple products are becoming more and more like Windows/ PC products that break and stop working without warning. sigh. sync'ing all my iphones over the years has never been a problem until recently.

Jun 5, 2016 9:05 AM in response to Detrich

what finally worked for me.

-Updated iOS to v9.3.1, since I ran out of options.

-Went into iPhoto folder and located the unsynced photo folders and manually copied these into iPhoto library. Note: these are files that iPhoto thinks we're synced but actually did not.

-Rebooted Mac, rebooted iphone

-after a few attempts it started recognizing my iPhone and the photos again

it appears forcing users to update iOS is becoming an issue.

very disappointed at the direction things are going with Apple nowadays.

SIgh

Sep 25, 2016 3:02 AM in response to P_Jay

Apple's devices & software are tanking. Suddenly after years of use pictures on my phone aren't to be found & downloaded in Image Capture. I only used it 1000 times with no problems until the latest updates, also MP3's & movies show in my iTunes but not on my iPhone.

Apple traded in stable functionality for easy hands off automated apps ... that lose data. Lame.

Dec 23, 2016 10:08 AM in response to P_Jay

Maybe same problem here too. Clicking "Trust" on the iPhone didn't work. iPhone couldn't sync with iPhoto.

Here's what worked for us. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Location & Privacy. This clears your privacy preferences. Now when you connect to your mac, the Trust alert will ask you whether you trust that computer. Hit Trust. Your iPhone should sync with iPhoto.

Dec 31, 2016 1:24 AM in response to P_Jay

In order to for a Mac to even detect an iPhone 7 when it's connected, a minimum Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite) and iTunes 12.5 are required. Anything less, and iTunes will display an error of "An invalid response was received from the device," and nothing will happen. iTunes 12.5 comes with Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite, so that's really all you need.

For older machines, you'll need first to go to wikipedia.org and check to see whether your hardware is capable/ compatible with Mac OS 10.10 or not. You'll find a listing of Mac OS versions and information on which hardware will run on which. If your hardware will run Yosemite, then your next challenge is how to get it installed.

Since Mac OS 10.7, Apple stopped shipping physical media and released updates via the Apple App Store application. Problem is that they remove older versions of Mac OS installation media from the App Store. And, that is, the complete catalog is never available for customers to download- not even for legitimate, licensed customers. So, you'll need to either borrow or purchase a copy of the software media from a 3rd-party online reseller (Amazon, eBay etc.).

If you did manage to download the software at the time it was released from the Apple App Store, then you'll need to check its release date- specifically the year. And, you'll need to temporarily disable automatic time set and roll back the date/ time on your Mac to the same year as the release date of the software, and then install it. Otherwise the software will not install and will say it's corrupted or broken. Once the software is installed, then put your clock settings back to auto or the current date/ time- otherwise, you cannot download the latest updates from the App Store either.

Just my opinion, but I feel the above practice by Apple is extremely predatory and punishing for customers who really need to re-install, recover, or stay on a particular operating system slightly beyond the normal intended product cycle- for whatever reason. But, they don't seem to care much about serving customer needs anymore...

iPhone not recognized by image capture or iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.