Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 third-party keyboards not working

I've tried to install Swype and SwiftKey multiple times (restart, download, install keyboard, restart, try to use) with no luck. When I go into an app, such as Messages, and select the third-party keyboard all I get is a gray box where the keyboard should go. In some apps I just get a blinking cursor but no keyboard at all. I'm not connected to a bluetooth keyboard. If I remove the keyboard under settings then I get the standard and Emoji keyboards back. I can switch between those two just fine. It is only the third-party keyboards that I'm having problems with. I've having he exact same problem with my iPad (3rd gen). Any ideas?

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 9:40 PM

28 replies

Sep 18, 2014 5:30 AM in response to chun ghee

Same here with iPhone 5S A1457 with iOS 8 (12A365).

Edit: Working for me now. At first I reset the keyboard dictionary. I think this is not trick but I am not sure.

How to reset the keyboard dictionary:

Settings - General - Reset - Reset Keyboard Dictionary

Then I additionally allowed "full access" for the Minuum third party keyboard:

Settings - General - Keyboard - Keyboards - Minuum Keyboard - Allow Full Access

If I remove the full access the keyboard disappears again. So it must be this setting.

Let me know if that fixed your problem as well.

Sep 22, 2014 8:00 AM in response to BiOsLaSh

I love the Swiftkey app and it's about time we get it but it's frustrating me that when I go to write something, no keyboard pops up. It's similar as to when your connected to a bluetooth keyboard. I've tried restarting the phone, turning off bluetooth, turning off Guided Access, screaming at Siri, and leaving it in rice (insert sarcasm) and none of these worked.

What worked for me was double clicking on the home button and closing out all of my open apps. It must be a glitch with one of the older apps that has yet to update to iOS8. Anyways I hope they fix it soon.

iOS 8 third-party keyboards not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.