Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 Update iPhone 5S - Lost Album Artwork

Upgraded to iOS 8 this morning and now the album artwork is missing from my playlists and random albums. Also my WhatsApp is crashing. Any suggestions?

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 4:07 AM

18 replies

Sep 18, 2014 10:26 AM in response to BananaRep_chick

I have a black iPhone 5 169 GB, and have been experiencing the same problem. To fix this i have done the following

Go into itunes and follow these simple steps.

Go to the music tab, and un tick the sync music box, click apply and then sync at the bottom, and then once done remove your iPhone from your pc.

Check to ensure all music has been removed. If this is the case proceed onwards.

Plug iPhone back into the pc.

Go to library

Click and drag on all artists and drag over to iPhone.

Once transferred click on the sync option at the top again, and then apply and sync at the bottom.

This worked for me all album cover, and playlists are restored

Hope this helps everyone

Sep 18, 2014 7:13 PM in response to BananaRep_chick

i contacted the chat support team, screen shared my screen and managed to fix my problem,

"Yes, what we did is un-synced all of your music and re-synced it. The best thing to note when syncing is to make sure iTunes does the copying step and finishes completely. As long as the copy finishes completely without error this issue shouldn’t happen again. If you notice that it didn’t complete successfully, first try hitting the sync button. If that doesn’t copy the music over then un-syncing and re-syncing should resolve the issue."

-Apple Support Team

Sep 19, 2014 4:41 AM in response to alexan215

Well, if all your music on your iPhone are synced from iTunes, you can use iTunes to fix it.

1. Connect your iPhone to computer and run iTunes

2. Click on the phone name on the left hand side of iTunes

3. Scroll down to options

4. Uncheck the option that says manually manage music and videos

5. Click sync in the bottom right corner

If it still doesn't work, you can use a tool, like TidyMyMusic to fix the album art.

Sep 19, 2014 5:12 AM in response to BananaRep_chick

Thanks, guys! Tried to follow some of the steps suggested by Andrew_Kelly92;cristian_roar; jimmyh91. However, some steps weren't feasible as I, like alexan215, have thousands of songs in my library. I ended up just resetting my phone and it seems to have resolved the general missing album artwork issue.

However, the problem with the missing artwork on the list of playlists, (iPhone>Music>Playlists), has not been resolved.

- If you recall, the artwork for the first song in each playlist appeared to the left of the playlist name. Now the list of playlists is text only - showing the name of each playlist and then underneath in smaller text the number of songs, time length of the playlist. I agree with alexan215 that the list including the artwork was more aesthetically pleasing.

- Tech Support wasn't sure whether this was a new feature of iOS 8 or a glitch. The rep and her supervisor checked their own phones and noticed the same thing. They have noted the feedback and forwarded it to the developers. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next update, but if anyone has a fix please share.

Sep 19, 2014 4:32 PM in response to BananaRep_chick

All my artwork is still there except it's GONE in my playlist list!!! I even made a brand-new playlist and the artwork still doesn't show up!! Only shows up when you play a song or look at an album list or look at an artist list!! Crazy!! Just like the crap they did with the photos by removing camera roll and photo stream. Way to go Apple looks like you screwed up again!!

Oct 17, 2014 12:09 PM in response to BananaRep_chick

This is ONLY for playlists!! Not for songs, artists, or albums!! Apple intentionally made this change with ios8 and they're NEVER putting it back the way it was. I asked an Apple rep. You just have to deal with it and put up with their bullsh-t. If you don't like it complain to corporate headquarters and see where that gets you. www.apple.com/feedback

Good Luck, should've kept ios7....

iOS 8 Update iPhone 5S - Lost Album Artwork

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.