Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 crashes on iphone 5

I just upgraded to IOS 8 on my iPhone 5. IOS keeps crashing the the phone. In the middle of doing things it either goes back to the Apple screen (black w/ white Apple logo) / zoom enabled screen or first looks like an old hard drive crash screen of disjointed image then returns to Apple screen. IOS 8 is not inspiring great confidence.

Anyone else having this issue? Any suggestions?

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 4:37 AM

20 replies

Sep 18, 2014 5:04 AM in response to GWPolarity

I'm seeing an increased number of crashes as well on my 5. When first launching an app it can crash almost immediately and go back to the home screen. Relaunching the app loads normally. This doesn't happen all the time though it does seem more likely to happen on the first launch of a newly installed app (possibly more frequent on ones that were upgraded to use iOS 8 features like extensions?). I've noticed this with third party apps like Pocket but even Apple apps like Settings which crashed 5 minutes ago for me. This never happened or very very rarely happened on iOS 7. I know these things happen in development so I'm hoping Apple get a handle on the issues soon.

Sep 20, 2014 2:36 AM in response to GWPolarity

Same issue here - unbelievable.

My iPhone 5 is constantly crashing (to white Apple logo), or the screen freezing. I'm also having issues charging my iPhone; this has all only occurred since the update to iOS 8.

I cannot even restore my iPhone from new, despite having backed up both to iCloud and MacBook my iPhone refuses to allow me to turn off 'Find My Phone', apparently this must be turned off before iTunes will allow a restore.

This is where Apple are a massive let down; I cannot get an appointment at a nearby Genius Bar until next week, and as my iPhone is now out of warranty I cannot get online support - albeit the problem has been caused by an Apple update.

Why is there no reply on these forums from Apple?

iOS 8 crashes on iphone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.