Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't turn off Rotation Lock after upgrade to iOS 8

After upgrading iPad to iOS 8, the device is locked in portrait mode. I assume this is what "Rotation Lock" means. In Settings, Rotation Lock is checked and cannot be changed. I don't have this problem with my iPod Touch. What is the fix?

Thanks in advance.

BSandburg

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 6:23 AM

12 replies

Sep 18, 2014 8:26 AM in response to bryantfromlisbon

If you have Settings > General > Use Side Switch To set to 'Lock Rotation' then that means that the switch on the side of your iPad above the volume control is being used to control rotation lock - you need to slide that switch 'off' (so that the orange dot isn't showing) to re-enable rotation.

The function that isn't being controlled by that side switch is instead controlled via Control Centre - so with your current Use Side Switch To selection you should see a notification mute icon in Control Centre instead of rotation lock.

Side Switch usage : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4085

(The iPad that you have, MC769LL, is an iPad 2)

Sep 18, 2014 10:26 AM in response to bryantfromlisbon

The Rotation lock control can be set to one of 2 places.

If its not in the Control Center, then its set to the side switch. Simply slide the side switch to the other positon to unlock rotation.

You can change the behavior in Settings->General->Use side switch for

Whatever is not checked there will appear in control center.

The checked option will be controlled by the side Switch above the volume control buttons.

User uploaded file

Mar 21, 2015 10:29 AM in response to La Profe S

La Profe S wrote:

WIth IOS8, I believe it was because I had turned the physical knob to MUTE on the iPad. For some reason, the two are connected. Turn mute off and it should work.

They are not connected.

Mute and rotation lock are independent. However, as I said above, they can be controlled by the same side switch, but it depends on what said switch is set to in Settings->General->Use Side Switch For.

I wrote:

You can change the behavior in Settings->General->Use side switch for

Whatever is not checked there will appear in control center.

The checked option will be controlled by the side Switch above the volume control buttons.

Of course this only applies to iPads up to the iPad Air. Since the iPad Air 2 did away with the side switch, everything is controlled via the control center on the iPad 2.

Turn on Mute and Orientation Lock on iPad Air 2 - Apple Support

Can't turn off Rotation Lock after upgrade to iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.