Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone know how to fix Bluetooth headset not working properly after iOS 8 update?

I have an iPhone 5S and I use a Plantronics PLT M20 model bluetooth headset. I am no longer able to answer calls by pressing the button on the headset, since updating to iOS 8. I also also cannot end calls by pressing the button on the headset. This only happened after iOS 8. The Apple Care rep stated that "this is most likely a problem with the bluetooth manufacturer and they need to update their firmware, so now it's just a waiting game until they do that". Is that correct? Anyone encountering this?

Related information....

Hi - I'm a student with disabilities and rely heavily on accessibility features that make my life easier. For example, I use a Bluetooth headset to trying answer phone calls and use Siri… I especially use the "Raise to speak" option for accessing Siri. Since updating my iPhone five us and my iPad air, I've been scrambling to access the "raise to speak" option for Siri without success. When I called AppleCare, the representative stated I should have that option to enable in my settings. When I explained to her that the option is not showing, she wanted me to reset my phone to factory settings. When I told her I googled the issue and found that it may have been removed in iOS 8… She put me on hold, Came back and told me I was right.

What's worse is that that my Bluetooth headset is no longer working with my iPhone 5S. She stated that it may being I needed adjustment from the manufacturer of the headset– Plantronics. All I know is that the apple care representatives seem confused and I am extremely disappointed in this really impacts my use of Siri and my phone.

When I asked her to submit feedback to her supervisor or the powers that be… I was simply asked to submit feedback to the Apple.com website. While I understand Apple might read that feedback, I also recognize that they don't reply and I don't feel that is great support to someone like me who has a disability and needs a solution. The"Hey Siri" option is not working for me.

Does anyone have any workarounds for the "Raise to speak" problem or the Bluetooth problem? Specifically, the Bluetooth issue is when I try to hit the button on my Bluetooth headset to answer a call or end the call. It's a Plantronics PLT M20 model.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 6:41 AM

31 replies

Sep 22, 2014 2:28 PM in response to jrnet154

I have a similar problem when using Plantronic headset. After updating to iOS 8, can’t use the headset to Receive or End calls (though the calls work fine). Have to always answer or end the calls through the phone. Weird thing is that it works on my older 5S and my colleague's 5 which is running iOS 8. Something got messed up somewhere during the upgrade. And Apple is advising me to restore as new and install the apps. I hate to do this as I don’t have the time to spend 2-3 hrs setting up everything again. Tried to remove and repaired the device, but with no luck.

Sep 23, 2014 11:54 PM in response to jrnet154

I just purchased an iPhone 6. None of my Bluetooth headsets can answer calls or terminate calls using button on headset. Other than answering and terminating calls, the headsets work fine. I have to answer calls from iPhone then switch to Bluetooth and must terminate calls from iPhone. It appears to be an issue with iPhone 6. My Bluetooth headsets having this problem are the latest version of Jawbone ERA, Plantronics Savi 740, and Plantronics Voyager Legend. The Plantronics Voyager Legend used to always answer calls by picking up the headset but that feature no longer works with iPhone 6. However, all work fine with my Verizon iPhone 5s with iOS8.

Apple support said it is an issue with my Bluetooth headsets, not the iPhone. When I told him they work fine on my iPhone 5s, he said I could return my iPhone 6 for a full refund. Yea... thanks a lot... after waiting in line for all those hours and using my 2-year contract upgrade, I'm now supposed to return it ???? Wonder how long it will be before Apple releases a 8.01 fix...?

Sep 24, 2014 8:19 AM in response to JackmanL

Button works correctly on my Motorola H710 to connect and disconnect calls. Note another thread in discussions concerning connection to auto Bluetooth systems. Problem was fixed for Verizon iPhone 6 customers by having Verizon activate their VoLTE. Activating Advanced Calling 1.0 allows both data and voice simoultaneously over bluetooth. See iPhone 6 not working with hands-free on a Toyota Prius c

Sep 24, 2014 11:38 PM in response to jrnet154

Follow-up to my earlier post that iPhone 6 Bluetooth not working correctly. I purchased a Jawbone MiniJambox to use as a speaker phone in my office. Everyone in our company thinks they are the best. However, it is experiencing the same issues as with all my other Bluetooth headsets. Everything works except cannot answer or hang up calls pushing the buttons on the Bluetooth devices. The Bluetooth patio speakers in our courtyard also have the same issue. However, my colleagues using iPhone 5 and 5s who did not update to iOS8 are using all Bluetooth devices without any issues. Apple says it is a problem with my Bluetooth device. Come on Apple.... This makes 7 different Bluetooth devices with different manufacturers. You cannot possibly believe the problem is with the Bluetooth devices when iOS7 works perfectly fine...

On another issue, my iPhone 5s worked perfectly fine in my vehicle entertainment center connected via USB. The vehicle entertainment center had complete control of my iPhone and iTunes. However, now I plug in my new iPhone 6 and it no longer communicates with my vehicle entertainment center. Again when I called Apple, they said my vehicle entertainment center needed a firmware update. Are you kidding me... That is a bunch of BS...!!!

Sep 26, 2014 8:26 AM in response to jrnet154

Try Reset all settings. It worked for me. However, it stopped once I used Wifi and connected to iCloud. I had to play around with lot of Resets and somehow it started to work again. There seems to be some bug or something associated with iCloud. If it still doesnt work, then you may want to turn off iCloud before you do the Reset all settings and then turn it back on.

Oct 1, 2014 11:47 AM in response to jrnet154

My Plantronics M165 can no longer accept or end calls using the call button (not to mention that Bluetooth isn't working properly in my car anymore). I can't begin to imagine how so many problems with bluetooth connectivity somehow slipped past all of the beta releases of iOS8. I've used iPhones since ver. 1. Now seriously considering switching to Android.

Oct 4, 2014 3:52 PM in response to jrnet154

i have a jawbone as well and a cdl license. have to be hands free while driving and with the iOS 8 upgrade and iOS 8.2 upgrade i can no longer answer calls with my bluetooth.

it worked fine before the update now i have to answer the phone , turn on the jawbone and then connect it.

is there a fix in the works for this?

Oct 6, 2014 10:54 AM in response to jrnet154

Same here, iOS 7 to 8 plantronics bluetooth headset buttons stopped working, no answer or hangup with the buttons, not sure if the volume buttons work. Tried forgetting the device and pairing again but this made no difference. I have a delay answering each call because I can only answer from the phone which automatically uses the handset and then click on audio and the headset so the person can hear me. I don't want to reset to default when people have the same problem with iPhone 6 out of the box.

Oct 6, 2014 3:15 PM in response to jrnet154

I am also having the same problem which my iPhone 6. My Savi 740 will not answer incoming calls nor will hang up with the headset button. I can make outgoing calls though. Also the iPhone bluetooth connectivity is having similar problems on my BMW - I can make outgoing calls but cannot answer incoming calls. I assume this is an iPhone problem not a Plantronics problem.

Anyone know how to fix Bluetooth headset not working properly after iOS 8 update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.