Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nicknames not showing since iOS 8 update

Since I updated to iOS 8 all my contacts are shown with their full names, not the nicknames I set. I tried turning the phone off and on again, turning nicknames off and on again, editing and saving a contact but no luck. Any ideas how to fix it?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 8:01 AM

I went to "Edit" the contact. Go all the way to the bottom and hit "Add Field." I added the nickname field, then put the nickname in and that solved it for me.

I already had a nickname for that contact, but it wasn't displaying at the top of my iMessage conversation. So, adding the field, again, fixed it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2014 8:01 AM in response to hidegandras

I went to "Edit" the contact. Go all the way to the bottom and hit "Add Field." I added the nickname field, then put the nickname in and that solved it for me.

I already had a nickname for that contact, but it wasn't displaying at the top of my iMessage conversation. So, adding the field, again, fixed it.

Nov 21, 2014 2:51 PM in response to hidegandras

I have a slightly different problem. I have nicknames entered for many of my contacts, but when I pull up a contact, the nickname is not displayed. When I click edit, the nickname is there. When I go back, the nickname is still not displayed. Strangely enough, the nickname does display for a few of my contacts. Even stranger, if I enter a nickname in the search box, it finds the contact. So the data is there, it simply isn't shown for many of my contacts. This was never a problem with my iPhone 4S running iOS 6. As of yesterday, I am now using an iPhone 6 running iOS 8. This is when I noticed the problem.

As an aside, I use Nicknames instead of Groups. For instance, I input the nickname "Contractor" for all my painters, electricians, plumbers, etc. When I want to see a list of my contractors, I do a search for "Contractors". It works nicely. The only reason I do this is because 1) you can't add Groups on the iPhone and 2) you can't add a contact to a Group on the iPhone. All this has to be done on a Mac.

Nicknames not showing since iOS 8 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.