Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 is slow on my iPad 3

Just loaded iOS 8 on my iPad 3. I like the new features. But it's really slowing down my iPad. I really notice it on webpages. But applications are slow to load as well.anyone have any ideas on how to improve this other than buying the most recent iPad.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 11:20 AM

even double clicking on the home button delays approx 1.5 secs.

Totally disappointing,!!

36 replies

Sep 18, 2014 1:52 PM in response to bob Keenan

Rollback to iOS 7.1.2 while you still can! Just did it myself and I'm very happy to be back. Won't update to iOS 8 again, either on my iPad 3 or on my iPhone 5, until I have confirmation that it works flawlessly and it's not any slower than iOS 7. I can do without all those new features in iOS 8. What I can't deal with is a laggy OS that will drive me crazy all the time. It's a shame what has become of Apple since Steve passed away. You wouldn't have seen crappy releases like these back in the day. He would have whip lashed anyone who would have even thought about releasing something that wasn't perfect. Now every time a new major version is released, everyone expects it not to work properly on anything else but the latest devices. And only after three other minor releases does it become acceptable. Best of luck!

Sep 20, 2014 5:03 PM in response to bob Keenan

iOS 8 slows all my devices (iPad 3 retina, retina and iPad mini iPhone 5s). The Apple Team already accustomed to updating their half, losing credibility. If we remember the software was why we paid a lot more money, and we were left with smaller screens.

My ipad 3 with ios 8 slows home button (2 seconds) to show home screen.

Multitasking (3 seconds)

Spotlight takes to load the images of the Apps

Transfer apps wifi with my smart TV no longer work

Safari takes twice to load.

Whattsapp lost the support of my conversations.

And ... We are still hoping to use two apps (at least) on the screen of iPad or iPhone.

If the new iPhone 6 will want to look at Samsung ... The option is to migrate?

Sep 21, 2014 11:26 AM in response to bob Keenan

I had the same issue on my ipad 3.

I did a reset: General > Reset > Reset all settings

it made quite an improvement.

after my initial upgrade to ios8 I was disappointed and thought my ipad didn't have enough horsepower. Responsiveness was very poor and tabs loaded very slowly in Safari.

after doing the reset I think I can accept ios8.

IOs 8 is slightly buggy and has a rushed out feel about it. There will be an update very soon I think.

Sep 22, 2014 8:47 PM in response to MatthewTL

ffor the IPad 3 I agree, in particular Safari is quite sluggish, but my iPhone 5S runs very smoothly with iOS8. Not sure yet whether predictive typing is very helpful. I still hope there will be an update that will fix some of the issues with ipad3, staying with 7.1.2 May be a good short term goal but I expect many apps to require 8 at some point

Sep 23, 2014 5:26 PM in response to Scott1610

Reset All Settings really helped my iPad 3 as well. Mine was especially horrible when closing an app, it would seemingly hang, then the app disappear as if crashed. After the Reset All, the normal app closing animation works again. Still not as fast as 7.1.2, which I think Apple has been forced to optimize for slower devices like my now retired iPhone 4, but much better. Thanks!

Sep 23, 2014 5:34 PM in response to bob Keenan

Hi, Bob

The problem is that you do not have enough storage on your device for it to run smoothly. Try restarting your iPad (by holding down your power & home button at the same time for 5 seconds) If you still have that problem try deleting some files or apps that are taking up space. Another problem may be is that your iPad is old and just cannot support iOS 8. The iPad 3 was released pretty long ago and is just too old and worn out to support the new hardware.

~Griffin

Sep 23, 2014 5:42 PM in response to griffincummings8

As I am sure you are aware, Griffin, electronics do not wear out. If Apple thinks a device cannot support a new OS, they won't let you download it, e.g. the iPhone 4 cannot get iOS 8. The iPad 3 is probably the next one to be buried, as it is indeed getting old, and yes, iOS 8 may run slower than iOS 7.1.2, but it's not because anything is worn out. The processor and device runs as fast as when it was new, but iOS 8 is written to take advantage of newer and significantly faster processors and devices, and will in most cases appear to run slower than the operating systems did when the device was new.

iOS 8 is slow on my iPad 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.