Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot search messages after upgrading to iOS8!!!

After upgrading my iPhone5S to iOS8 yesterday, I noticed that it cannot search Messages for information. To be exact, it only searches messages that have been sent/received after the upgrade. It seems it hasn't cached older messages and keeps ignoring them when searching for something. Any help? Is it a bug?

iPhone 5S, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 9:10 AM

96 replies

Sep 19, 2014 5:51 PM in response to dtedge

I was having the exact same issue on my iPhone 5s after upgrading to iOS 8. I found an old forum topic here that recommended switching the language on the phone and then switching it back. While this seems extreme, it worked and now I can search my messages again. I suspect this has something to do with a database cache that is forced to reset in the language switch, but whatever it is it worked for me. Best of luck!

Sep 21, 2014 9:53 AM in response to ahaglund

Well unfortunately this method only worked for my iPhone 5s and did not solve the issue on my iPad retina mini of my wife's iPhone 4s. Hopefully Apple will release a patched version of iOS 8 soon. There are major news outlets reporting this issue along with other known issues some with fixes but this one is reported as no known fix yet.

Sep 21, 2014 2:25 PM in response to ahaglund

I am having this same issue. I live in Korea and changing the language to Korean made the messages searchable, but when I changed back to English, the problem returned and I was unable to search all my messages via the search window in the messages app, but then, after about 5 minutes, the messages app crashed, and after that, the problem was resolved. Gotta sat that I'm so far unimpressed with ios 8; seemingly not ready for Primetime.

Sep 21, 2014 3:38 PM in response to dtedge

Switching the language back and forth did not work for me either. I have an iPhone 6. I'll chalk it up to a bug for now and wait for Apple to issue a fix. Supposedly at the end of the month is what is speculated for a fix. Really weird that something like this would be missed at beta. Wasted a lot of time trying to find a fix for this.

cannot search messages after upgrading to iOS8!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.