Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PDFs rendering stretched in iOS 8

I went to my company's website and launched a few PDFs from my iPhone and iPad (both on iOS 8) while using Safari and noticed that copy, images and logos are displaying vertically stretched out in the PDF. I'd never experienced this before on previous iOS versions so I'm curious if there's a PDF encoding issue we need to address that plays nice with iOS 8. Any thoughts?

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 9:52 AM

16 replies

Sep 21, 2014 6:39 AM in response to blufire

I am so much interested in your report but my iPhone 5 and iPad2 has not (happily) encountered this issue yet.

But I have read a similar report in Japanese twitter as well.

What is your iPhone? iPhone 5S? What is your iPad? iPad3? iPad mini?

And in your iPhone and in your iPad, do (almost) all PDFs, which are not excluded to your company's PDFs, suffer from this bug?

Are your PDFs directly linked from the web site? Or are they shown within iframe, frame, or something?

If there are sample PDFs or some screenshots, they would be helpful in solving this issues.

Sep 24, 2014 9:24 AM in response to shimax21

shimax21 wrote:

If the PDF has a rotation flag within it, it seems, Safari in iOS 8.0 can not handle it correctly.

What is a rotation flag?

So far it looks like the issue is only affecting our PDFs with landscape orientation when you launch them in Safari on iOS 8. Portrait and landscape PDFs launch ok on other browsers/ readers, but since Safari is the native browser in iOS, it's important we resolve this.

For comparison, I launched a landscape PDF using Safari on one of our other websites and could not see any stretching. I also did not find any difference in the web links which may have affected the launch behavior. In looking at both file properties though, I noticed the PDF with the issue was created using Adobe Distiller whereas the one that launched ok was not. We are re-running a couple of PDFs without using Distiller to see if this is part of the root cause (not sure why Distiller was used in the first place).

Other thoughts? Thank you all for your comments.

Feb 1, 2015 4:52 PM in response to blufire

Is ther a fix for this yet? I have a number of 11x17 PDFs files on my website. Since updating to iOS 8 on my iPad, I've noticed that the page shrinks and is distorted when viewed on iPad or iPhone. The same PDFs can be viewed on my desktop without a problem. Curiously, I tried to open some 11x17 files posted a long time ago (3 years approx.) and the files open fine. Any PDFs done lately get distorted. This is also typical for any PDFs file I have been able to find online. I can only reproduce the problem with 11x17 pages in PDFs format. Letter size documents seem to work fine.

what to do.

PDFs rendering stretched in iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.