Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to change margins in Pages 5.2

Hello - I am drafting a resume using one of the Pages templates. I would like to change the right margin so that there is more room for text (less white space on the right side), but am unable to do so. The ruler slide will move to make the margin WIDER, but not NARROWER, which is what I want. I have tried:

1. "unlocking" the document via the Arrange menu (not an option);

2. changing the document margins via the Inspector/Document menu - right margin is already set to zero, but the space on the actual document is a couple inches wide;

3. changing the column width via the Format/Layout menu - each time I try to do this, the width immediately reverts to what it was prior to my changing it.

This is maddening. As much as I love Mac, I feel Pages is not very user friendly, and that's coming from someone with and advanced education who is fairly computer literate. If possible, I would prefer not to have to make a whole new document. Help? Thanks.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 1:48 PM

4 replies

Sep 18, 2014 3:31 PM in response to dawn_mdb

Unlocking unlocks objects, not the document.

Is it a Textbox not the actual Document margin?

The Ruler works inside the bounds of the margins, it can't be negative. Same in all Word Processors.

Column Widths are for columns dividing up the space from 1 to as many as you want. 1 of course is the full width, it can't be less.

To see what you have on the page Menu > View > Show Invisibles/Show Layout

Post a screen snap of the document here using the camera icon: command shift 4 and drag over the area.

Peter

Nov 20, 2015 6:40 AM in response to dawn_mdb

Dawn,

You've probably solved this problem by now (since it's been ten months). I had this same problem this week as well and my solution was hinted at by Peter above. Simply create a new text box by clicking the "Text" button in the toolbar at the top and then copy and paste your old text into this new box. You can stretch the sides to meet any dimensions. Hopefully that helps you.

Steven

unable to change margins in Pages 5.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.