Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive empty after upgrading

Upgraded to iOS 8.0 on my iPhone 5S and received the updated versions of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

All of them display nothing in the iCloud document picker. No documents at all.

Using a different app which supports iCloud Drive (Scanner Pro by Readdle, also updated for iOS 8), I can browse to the Numbers folder or Pages folder and see that the documents are there.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. I also tried turning iCloud Drive support off and then back on.

I see the same behavior on a iPad 3 with iOS 8 - no documents where there should be.

My Yosemite Public Beta Mac also shows documents correctly in iCloud Drive.

Any ideas?

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 3:27 PM

I should add that the iCloud Drive browser on iCloud.com also correctly shows my files.

Are Numbers, Pages, and Keynote supposed to have the new iCloud Drive document picker in the updates? It still looks like the old one but I do have the updates according to the App Store.

11 replies

Sep 18, 2014 5:46 PM in response to ChristopherThielen

For anyone who finds this thread, about 8 hours after I upgraded to iOS 8 and installed the updated iWork apps, the correct documents showed up. Apple's servers must be hammered.

To be clear: the new iCloud Drive document picker does not appear to be in effect though. I confirmed it is using the new iCloud Drive by making a change on my iPhone and checking iCloud Drive using the Yosemite Public beta. Appears to work as advertised though took about 45 seconds to make the round-trip from phone to OS X on my 25 Mbps connection.

Oct 17, 2014 3:21 PM in response to Don MacDonald

I'm having the same problem. My documents are visible when I log into iCloud.com but in the Finder on my Mac, the drive is showing empty. I did log off iCloud on my Mac, rebooted and logged back on and folders did show up on my Mac but not all of the folders I saw when I went to iCloud.com. Later in the afternoon, I checked and it was empty again. Definitely a bug. Reminds of the iDisk days. Hopefully Apple will sort this out. There also needs to be a way to access iCloud documents in iOS. For example, if I had a file I wanted send via iMessage or Mail to someone and it was stored on iCloud, I don't see how that's possible from iOS, only the Mac. I know Apple is doing everything they can to keep a visible file system off iOS but sometimes you need access to things besides photos.

Sep 29, 2015 6:01 PM in response to Don MacDonald

That was the correct solution for me. After going through a Command+R re-install last night (on my MBP Retina 15" late 2013), I noticed my iCloud folder on my Mac was empty. iCloud had all my docs, though. Turning off iCloud from the System preferences panel, then re-enabling it allows for the connection to re-establish itself. You'll notice a "download" bar next to each document that is becoming visible on your Mac iCloud Drive. It takes a while, but all docs eventually show up again.

When in doubt, always reach out for Apple Care tech support. They do this all day, and chances are they can help you with your specific issue, helping you identify where to go if you agree to share your desktop with them.

😀

Cheers,

Catherine

Sep 30, 2015 3:34 AM in response to ChristopherThielen

I have this problem as well. When I open Pages none of the documents I had before upgrading are there, just a blank window saying I can create a new file by clicking the plus sign.

On my laptop I get a message that I have to update in order to access icloud so I can't check my documents that way. AND updating is what got me in this fix in the first place! To make matters worse, I was backing up to my iMac which now is not usable with my phone. I get a message that I can't access the phone on the iMac until I upgrade that computer as well. So my backups are useless as well.

I'm afraid to take any steps because that may be the exact step that removes access to my documents forever.

This upgrade was a sort of negative tipping point in my "love affair" with Apple. They seem to be mainly interested in strong-arming me into joining the music service and to heck with the users.

iCloud Drive empty after upgrading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.