Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

While trying to update to iOS 8, my iPad went into recovery mode. When I try to restore, I get, "The software for the iPad was corrupted during download. Disconnect and reconnect, then try again. Make sure your network settings are correct and your n

While trying to update to iOS 8, my iPad went into recovery mode. When I try to restore, I get, "The software for the iPad was corrupted during download. Disconnect and reconnect, then try again. Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later."

I have turned off all my security programs, firewall, malware protectors, etc. My network connection is up and running just fine. Any ideas?

iPad 2, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 5:48 PM

7 replies

Dec 7, 2014 1:53 AM in response to CarlAVII

I have this problem as well. I've tried updating my iPad2 on two different Macs and in two different locations - one running Mavericks and one Yosemite with the same results. The information above doesn't seem relevant - the issue is that iTunes cannot *download* the update. I always choose "download only" as it avoids time issues. My iPad works fine, but iTunes is unable to download the 8.02 update. No great loss, but broken none the less.

The steps in the linked solution also do not appear to have been updated for Yosemite and its different file structure.

Feb 5, 2015 9:18 PM in response to CarlAVII

Stephen Patriquen1 is correct: the link given by allen a does not address the problem described in the header by ChubbyCherub, namely "The software for the iPad was corrupted during download. Disconnect and reconnect, then try again."

User uploaded file

Like ChubbyCherub,I have faithfully and completely followed all the troubleshooting directions given, including also unplugging USB devices, even though I don’t believe any of them are relevant to a corrupted download, and repeatedly re-tried the download, to no avail.

So what is required, allen a, is a solution related to the original question that doesn’t involve doing the same thing over and over in hopes of a different outcome.

In the meantime, my iPad has been stuck in recovery mode for days.

Feb 18, 2015 5:54 PM in response to shadifromamman

This is a total shot in the dark. Have you had issues downloading other things?

A few years ago I was having horrible issues with downloaded files not working. I'd download plugins or programs and they'd be corrupted.

Turns out it was a setting on my router that I needed to change.

You could try googling your router model and a term like corrupted download and see if there are any settings to change.

Feb 19, 2015 9:07 AM in response to ChubbyCherub

This seems to be an ongoing issue with ios updates. I typically just download the update via iTunes and do the install on the iPhone later when I have more time. It seems like for the last year or so, though, there's always some issue or error that occurs during this process. If I do manage to actually get the download to complete, iTines then inevitably tells me the file was corrupted during the download process and I need to start over.

At first I thought perhaps there was an issue with my system (Mac Pro 2008), as it's old and has lots of legacy applications installed. Who knows what's going on in there? However, the problem just occurred again on my brand new Mac Pro which I purchased just last week. There's no anti-virus software installed (yet), so I can't see that being the problem. I was really hoping the new computer would resolve this situation, but I'm beginning to think more and more that this is an issue on Apple's end.

Anyone have any suggestions?

While trying to update to iOS 8, my iPad went into recovery mode. When I try to restore, I get, "The software for the iPad was corrupted during download. Disconnect and reconnect, then try again. Make sure your network settings are correct and your n

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.