Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2012 Macbook Pro Retina High Temperatures

I recently started noticing my 2012 Macbook Pro Retina was feeling warm to the touch on my legs. I installed temperature gauge and was startled by the temperatures I saw.

Idling the CPU is around 40-45 C but spikes easily to 70-80 with any activity. As an example when Intellij compiles my java code my CPU will jump to 80C

The SSD temperatures is constantly at 65C.

I tried reseting the NVRAM with the instructions from Apple website. It didn't make any differences.

What is even more concerning is the fan speed does not change! It stays right around 2000 RPM no matter what the temperature is.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with their 2012 Retina? I recently had it at the Apple Store for repair to replace my screen, ghosting issues.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 5:30 PM

1 reply

Sep 21, 2014 9:15 AM in response to greyfox55

Hi there,

You may find the information in the article below helpful.

Mac notebooks: Operating temperature

Mac notebooks comply with temperature limits set in national and international safety standards when used in accordance with the instructions in the user guide.

While there are third-party utilities that measure the temperature of a notebook computer, it is important to understand that these utilities are not measuring the external case temperature. The actual case temperature is much lower. Never use third-party applications to diagnose possible hardware issues—instead, contact Apple or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.

-Griff W.

2012 Macbook Pro Retina High Temperatures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.