Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Hey Siri" feature not working on iPhone 5.

Just upgraded to iOS 8. The "Hey Siri" feature is not working. I am aware of settings such as turning Hey Siri on, and allowing it on the lock screen. Also aware that the phone must be plugged in. As a note, it is working on my iPad Mini just fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 7:14 PM

8 replies

Sep 21, 2014 9:20 AM in response to swsmusic

Thanks for submitting this. I too am absolutely certain that I've done what is necessary as prescribed by others... I even disabled and enabled Siri (against my better judgement, since that warns you that you essentially have to re-train Siri once you do that.) So no change and I'm only further frustrated. What's worse is that I wonder when I get my iP6 and restore my latest backup, will it work there, or is there some mystery setting that will transfer and screw me there too? Any help is greatly appreciated. Again: Siri enabled, enabled on the lock screen, Hey Siri is enabled.

Sep 21, 2014 11:10 AM in response to swsmusic

*** RESOLVED ***

Here's what I did:

1. Disabled Siri on the lock screen (Settings -> TouchID and Passcode -> scroll to allow access when locked and slide "Siri" to off.)

2. Disabled Hey Siri. (Settings -> General -> Siri, slide "Allow Hey Siri" to off.)

3. Disabled Siri. (Not impressed...) (Settings -> Genral -> Siri, slide "Siri" to off.)

4. Restart Phone.

5. Re-enable in reverse order (Enable Siri, enable Hey Siri, enable Siri on the lock screen.)

It works now. I will say that I find I have to nearly scream at it to wake it up. Seems worse when the screen has gone into standby. You can usually shout your whole command immediately, but if you prefer to save your breath, say "Hey Siri" first and wait for the tone.

Should anyone from Apple be paying attention, the ability to "re-train" the Hey Siri recognition would be great. Better recognition and a way to differ the phrase, like "Yo Siri" or "Oh Siri..." might be cute, among other things people would undoubtedly say.......

Alright. Good luck. I imagine iterative improvements for this non-well-documented feature will eventually be forthcoming.

Sep 21, 2014 7:11 PM in response to xJ3R3MYx

Hi xJ3R3MYx!,

My "Hey Siri" worked fine from the start. But, if your method works for others I hope they say "Thanks" here.

I am writing to comment on your suggestion to offer "Custom" phrases to activate Siri by voice (My voice activated Garmin GPS allows that). Why? Here's an example. My wife likes to check the time occasionally at night. I know. I know. She could just quietly open her iPhone screen to get the time. But NOOOOOO! Not my Lover Girl. She thinks "Hey Siri" is the coolest thing ever. So, she loves to go:

Step 1: She says out loud, "Hey Siri."

Step 2: She waits for the Siri Beep and then asks "Siri, "What's the time?"

Step 3: She listens and smiles as Siri says, "It's 3:30 AM."

Step 4: She makes sure I'm awake and tells me, "Isn't that the Coolest thing ever!"

Step 5: I tell her I was woke-up a while ago when MY IPHONE was summoned into existence by her "Hey Siri" shout out.

Siri over here.

Siri over there.

Siri Everywhere.

If only I could change my wake up Siri phrase to "Yo...Vinny!" or something like that. It would be good for the marriage.

"Hey Siri" feature not working on iPhone 5.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.