Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dvd drive drops cds

I'm currently backing up my iTunes. Whenever my G5 iMac is done burning one, it ejects it as it's supposed to. However, with the last 5 CD's it drops them out onto the floor instead of just pushing them out. What's wrong with my drive?

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Sep 20, 2006 11:08 PM

8 replies

Sep 21, 2006 1:34 PM in response to s.grant22

Hello,

The problem you describe is common with the earlier iMac G5 systems. There is a mesh / sweep on the edge of the CD-Drive slot. This sweep slows the ejection, and prevents the power from kicking the disk out too far.

And, as that wears down, this problem becomes more common. If your machine is under warranty, then call Apple and request them to fix this problem. It will likely return again in the future, but if it's under warranty, I'd get it fixed and perhaps it will take longer to break-down again.

I've seen this on my own iMac G5 systems.

If the machine has been recently serviced, then it's also entirely possible that they just didn't get things lined-up right. I've had that problem as well and the CD would just spit-out after the drive had been removed and re-installed as part of another repair.

So, if it's under warranty, get it fixed. If it's not, then hold your hand there when you eject a disk to prevent them from falling and getting scratched.

I hope this helps.

Let us know if you have other questions.

P.S., if you'd like, go ahead and click the "Helpful" or "Solved" buttons on any of the posts / replies above if you feel they were helpful or adequately answered your question.

Oct 2, 2006 8:16 PM in response to mhunter

I described the problem to an AppleCare tech support person, and had an interesting response. He said they would send a repair person out to my home to inspect the optical drive and repair/replace as necessary. But did not think that I could just remove it and bring to an Apple store, because they would have no way of knowing where it actually came from. I can understand that, but somehow it seems as though there should be a way to do what I suggested.

dvd drive drops cds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.