Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dictation not working in Pages in iOS 8

After upgrading to iOS 8 on my iPad, dictation stopped working in Pages. When I press the microphone key, the whole keyboard goes blank. Nothing happens.

Any ideas?

iPad, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 8:26 PM

39 replies

Sep 19, 2014 11:41 PM in response to AryehVT

i have this too.dictation is very hit and miss. Sometimes it works and then it will suddenly stop for no reason. Sometimes the keyboard disappears. If I Close the document down and then open it again, it usually starts again. I don't seem to get much beyond one paragraph before it fails again. Obviously this is incredibly frustrating.when it does work it now types as I speak, and it may be that it is trying to do too much at the same time?is it possible to turn this feature off?I have also tried turning predictive text off and on, but that doesn't seem to change anything.all help appreciated. Many thanks.I am using an iPad Air.

Sep 20, 2014 5:57 AM in response to Heartpeter

I am finding that dictation seems to work normally when starting a new line on a blank section of the page. If I stop dictating, then resume it where I left off, it seems to not hear my voice anymore or just goes completely blank. If it stops hearing me, I can usually stop dictating, move to a new line and it will work normally until I stop again. If the dictation box goes blank, I have to close the document, and it works again after reopening it, as long as I start a new line. on the upside, I really like to see my words populate as I dictate. It will be great when this is fixed.

Sep 21, 2014 12:57 AM in response to Heartpeter

The problem still persists in Pages. I have experimented with Notes and found that there isn't a problem. So I think the problem is in Pages itself and not elsewhere. Not an extensive test, but I couldn't fault the dictation in Notes. Also tried dictating within the Dragon dictation app, and found the Apple dictation works okay! So pages people, please help! Many thanks.

Sep 21, 2014 1:21 PM in response to Shaunfromhants

I'm in the same boat. I posted this elsewhere in the fora:

I updated to iOS 8, and after I did I discovered that Pages no longer accepted dictation. Instead when the keyboard was supposed to slide up and I pressed the mic button, everything disappeared below the line. There was no audio line, there was no keyboard, there was no DONE button. The only way that I could get out of the program was to hit the home button.

Sep 21, 2014 9:47 PM in response to Crimson General

I do apologise, i was simply trying to say when the Siri severs go down or have problems then one can't use dictation or Siri.

in my opinion the problems is with the Apple severs not not directly with Pages. I now have some use of dictation within Pages when I had nothing at all.

Also finding if I move the Cursor away from the last text or special character if applied then I have much better use of dictation. Clearly there's still problems with the service but I can see improvement .

Shaun

Dictation not working in Pages in iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.