Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 freezing and running slow after iOS 8 upgrade?

iPhone 5 repeatedly freezes since iOS 8 upgrade last night. Even home and lock buttons will stop working. Even when phone works, it is very slow.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 8:51 PM

47 replies

Sep 19, 2014 2:01 PM in response to Jryan2006

Same problem with my iPhone 5. It first was dragging a bit. Would freeze using the new features. It has now been frozen for hours. I am unable to do ANYTHING!!!! I already tried to hold the power button down to turn off/reset my phone but won't even let me do that!!! It is stuck... Since the phone won't go to screensaver I figure it will eventually drain the battery????!!! Very frustrated!!!!

Sep 19, 2014 6:56 PM in response to Jryan2006

This is crazy and frustrating. My iPhone 5s was working absolutely fine, till I downloaded the IOS 8. Now my phone is freezing, crashing, typing by itself, works slowly, Network keeps getting disconnected, Touch screen doesnt work. My iphone 5s is literally worthless trash right Now. Apple created this problem in the first place, to make older Model iPhone users frustrated, so that they can buy the new IPhone 6

Sep 22, 2014 11:38 PM in response to alextuner

My phone was having the same problem, freezing and generally slow since installing iOS 8. I tried a couple of the above tips, the last one I tried was resetting everything and now my iPhone 5 won't turn on. It displays the apple logo on start up and sits there doing nothing. I now have no phone. Can anyone advise what, if anything, I can do?

Thx

Sep 23, 2014 4:38 AM in response to Jryan2006

1. Reset iPhone

Hold down the the Home button and Sleep/Wake button simultaneously for at least ten seconds until the Apple logo appears

2. Reset all settings

On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

Note: Please be aware that FaceTime, Wi-Fi, Message and Home Sharing will be reset.

If it's till doesn't work, I think you can try to downgrade to iOS 7.

Sep 25, 2014 3:48 PM in response to Jryan2006

Everyone's iPhone is personalized. Some have games, some don't update apps, some have little memory left after songs, videos, movies, pics, so you can't make assumptions based off of your iPhone. You can express your experience and share. others by the millions have this iPhone 5 issue, not just on this blog. While millions have no problems. Apple will sort it out. Try to help the ones with the problems, offer solutions to trouble shoot. Here is what i found to get me by while apple fixes things up!! I am up and running after doing these steps.

1. Update all your apps (Hold Down Home button and power at same time until reboot) Then do it.

1a. If you have Itunes installed Back up all your iPhone and use iTunes to update your apps!

2. close all non-essential apps not in use

3. Close all Safari open web pages

4. Turn or "Notifications and banners" in Settings from Games and other third party apps.

5. When it's locked Hold down home button and power button at the same time for a minute and let it reboot.

6. Take note of what app you were using when crashed or hung.

7. Post result on these blogs. We all would love to help

8. Turn off Bluetooth if not using

9. Look under usage feature and see which app is burning up battery, it may have issues with new ios

10. Call Apple, they should help you get going, support should take your call if you install new ios

11. Post exact problem and how to replicate it here so Apple guys can duplicate and fix it ASAP

Thanks and lets help people have a better user experience while we all work through the change.

Kind Regards

B😎

iPhone 5 freezing and running slow after iOS 8 upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.