Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage problems after ios 8 update

After ios 8 update many people in my company including me have had many issues with imessage - we use a group thread & after update iOS fails every imessage or only sends while on wifi. To fix the issue with imessage not working go to settings>Messages>turn off iMessage. Go back to settings & make sure you are logged in to iCloud. Settings>iCloud (click the banner at the top) enter your Apple ID password. Go back and turn iMessage back on. You may also have to delete threads and allow them to re appear. Hope this helps!

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 9:22 PM

66 replies

Sep 20, 2014 10:50 AM in response to Mattdryer

Thanks for this suggestion. The reset is a bit of a pain because some things require, well, re-setting.

This seems to have fixed a problem I was having with a Messages group chat not working any more, but there may be some other problems that are either new or need further work (a Messages chat that was doing fine with iMessage is now going only via SMS).

Will keep plugging...

Sep 20, 2014 3:11 PM in response to lauren_wise

Earlier today I was unable to send messages. I tried this fix:

Step 1. Open up the Settings app, select Messages, and tap the slider to turn, Send as SMS, iMessage off.

Step 2. Under the main settings menu, go to General > Reset and tap Reset Network Settings, send text messages again.

Step 3. Go back to Settings > Messages and turn Send as SMS, iMessage back on.

And now it works. When I get a message, it shows up in the notification center for about 1 second, then disappears. If I try to respond to it via interactive notifications, it also disappears.

Still no idea why only phone calls and google+ show up in my notifications feed. Facebook posts will show up for about a minute and disappear, too. It is all really odd.

I should mention I have an iPhone 5.

Sep 21, 2014 7:14 AM in response to joefromasheville

I updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 8 and experienced no issues until yesterday when I sent a text to another iPhone user and it was sent as an SMS text. I didn't think much of it until I looked at my message settings and iMessage was turned off (I did not turn it off). I turned it back on and it said "Waiting for activation...". Roughly 8 hours later it was still waiting for activation. This morning I turned it on and off, ensured I was signed into iCloud, powered the phone on/off, and checked my iPad and MacBook. My iPhone is the only device I am experiencing any problems with and I cannot figure out how to fix it or what may be causing this. Does anyone have any ideas about what the problem is and how it might be corrected?

Sep 21, 2014 8:49 PM in response to alwaysmeggy

I received the attached link and thus far not one of the possible resolutions have helped my iMessage activation problem. I intend to contact Apple Support tomorrow if it does not activate within the next 12 hours. If it does activate, orj if I find a solution, I will post it right away.

http://http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4268

Afrer I made my initial post to this thread today, I realized I was also having problems activating iMessage on my iPad. However it activated in less than 30 minutes. I also encountered multiple problems on my MacBook Pro today (iMessage being but one of them). I had more problems with my MacBook today than what I've had in the entire 2 years that I've had it. I did not use my iPad or MacBook at all yesterday. All three devices worked correctly on Friday. Yesterday iMessage suddenly quit working on my iPhone. I'm at a loss as to what could be wrong.

Sep 22, 2014 5:04 AM in response to joefromasheville

Has a similar issue with group messages that used to all work on iMessage, after updating to iOS8 (actually switching to an iphone 6 and restioring old iphone 5) all group messages were getting sent as SMS. Single messages were still being sent as iMessages.

The only way I could get the group message back to use iMessages was to delete the whole conversation thread. Resetting settings and switching iMessage off and on had no effect. As soon as I deleted the group conversation, the next message went as an iMessage and it's now fixed.

iMessage problems after ios 8 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.