Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail won't connect in certain cases

If I open the Mail app "too early" after starting up my Mac it won't connect to any of my email accounts. The connection doctor says that Mail was able to connect to the internet. Despite this, it won't work in any way, if not after restarting the Mac, as logging out and back in won't help at all.

Even if I leave its window open and, when shutting down, I select to re-open the windows when logging back in the issue will show up.

Annoying!

User uploaded file

My Mac is up-to-date, so, please don't tell me to investigate problems that do not exist. I rather reckon that this issue is connected to a bug than to any bad action I may take, as I just click on the Mail like I ever did before icon and that's it. I also already sent a feedback to Apple about this.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 1:09 AM

4 replies

Sep 21, 2014 2:50 PM in response to Streeme

Hey there Streeme,

It sounds like Mail is not connecting to any of your Mail servers at all. Thanks to the screenshot you posted of the Connection Doctor, I recommend this info from the following article, named:

OS X Mail: Troubleshooting sending and receiving email messages

Click here if a "Could not connect to this (server type) server…" message appears

Check for third-party firewall software

Third-party firewall software, such as Little Snitch or Symantec Norton Personal Firewall, could be blocking the necessary ports. If such software is installed, make sure the firewall is not blocking these ports:

• ports 25, 465, and 587 (for sending email via SMTP)
  • ports 143 and 993 (if you use IMAP email)
  • ports 110 and 995 (if you use POP email)

If you're not sure how to enable the correct ports, try disabling the third-party firewall completely, then test for the Mail issue. Note: The Mac OS X v10.6 firewall does not interfere with ports needed to send email.

Check for Internet Service Provider port blocking

Your Internet Service Provider may be blocking the SMTP ports needed to send email.

You can use Apple's MobileMe service to find out if your Internet Service Provider is blocking the sending email protocol SMTP:

1. Open Network Utility.
  2. Click the "Port Scan" tab.
  3. Enter "smtp.me.com" in the "Enter an Internet or IP address to scan for open ports" field.
  4. Enable "Only test ports between _ and _", and enter 25 for both port fields.
  5. Click "Scan" to test.

If you do not see "Open TCP Port: 25 smtp", contact your Internet Service Provider or visit their support website for further assistance. If you do see "Open TCP Port: 25 smtp", your Internet Service Provider is not blocking the SMTP ports needed to send email. Go to the "'Trying to log in to this (email server provider name) account failed…' message or any other error message appears" section below if the email issue persists.

User uploaded file

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

Sterling

Mail won't connect in certain cases

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.