Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage voice message is not active in iOS8

Hi, I have updated new ios 8 and there's no audio microphone icon in the iMessage app.

I can still see just the "Send" button with "Text Message" in the box where I would start typing.

I went into iMessage settings and it's enabled, but can't see any other settings that are obvious... Shouldn't this "just work?"

Finally, I have reset and hard reboot my iphone 5 (iOS8). However, the voice message function is still not active.

Could someone help me to solve this problem?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 1:37 AM

10 replies

Sep 19, 2014 2:16 AM in response to Sockatume

Hi, thanks for replying.

The screenshot is an initial interface when I start to send a message. (the voice record button remains grey and deactivated even though I selected a receiver). In the mean time, personally I don't think that the receiving side has to be running iOS 8 as well, because there is no way to know all smartphone types of your friends. I think either voice memo or video memo which has been highlighted in iOS 8 is a new recording function for sender side.

BTW, I have tried to send a normal text message to my friend, it just worked properly. But voice memo...still working on it.

Sep 19, 2014 2:22 AM in response to Anthony Liang

Unfortunately your screenshot isn't working for me.

I am not sure what you think a non-iOS 8 phone is supposed to do when it receives the audio message data. It has no way of understanding what the data is.

You don't need to know which of your friends have iOS 8 - your iPhone can detect that, and will only offer to send audio messages to people who can receive them. In principle. If you're still having trouble and the receiver is using an iOS 8 device, then something is wrong.

Sep 19, 2014 3:02 AM in response to Anthony Liang

I Have the same issue and have found the solution... I think !!!!

Your phone decides whether an imessage is for another iPhone recipient by simply recognising the contact name/person who is another iPhone user !

*** I simply tried to to go one of my contact edited his number against (mobile) field and tried the keyboard and both mic/camera was deactivated and greyed out than the same contact I edited to read his mobile number to (iPhone) field and saved and tried sending the message and both features showed and worked.

Trust this works as a solution.... Until someone else comes up with a better solution.

Sep 19, 2014 3:22 AM in response to BobbyWallis

Thanks for your information. That really gives me some hints to figure out what's going on of my iMessage.

OK, here is my trial test after all the replied suggestions above.

(1) It seems the voice/video memo function will be ONLY enabled automatically when sender and receiver are all iPhone(iMessage app) users.

(2) In my case, if I choose a receiver who is a iPhone user too, then the voice/video memo function button is working nicely.

(3) The receiver doesn't need to run iOS 8. I have tried iOS 6 iOS 7 friends, there is no problems at all.

(4) In conclusion, you have to find another iPhone user to experience new function just like the same requirement of Facetime.

Problem solved , I hope my question could help other confused user as well.

Oct 6, 2014 7:03 AM in response to 222joco

I too am having this same problem. My brother has a iphone 4S and is also on 8.0.2. When I go and try to start a message to him I select his name in my contacts just like everyone else and I can do a regular text message and even a regular image just like in iOS 7. But there is NO mic option in the upper right corner like there is for EVERYBODY else...

My brother is the only one in my contacts that I cannot send a audio text to. I tried turning his imessages app off then on using his phone. No help. I also made sure that his phone number was listed as an iphone in my contact for him and not just mobile. It WAS listed as mobile but I switched it...

What the heck is wrong??

iMessage voice message is not active in iOS8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.