Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 8 text message trash vanishes on iphone 5S

I did the IOS8 update on my iphone 5S last night, didn't take too long, no issues. However when I want to delete specific text messages, as usual you click "more" and tick the relevant text messages to delete, the trash bin appears and you can delete.

However it only works the first time the phone is switched on now, if you go into another conversation to delete specific text messages, click "more" and tick relevant text messages to delete, the trash bin has vanished. Only way is to delete the entire conversation (which I don't want to do), or to switch phone off complete and back on again - then it works just once and vanishes again.

Anyone else encountered the same problem. I thought maybe a new feature has been added, so tried swiping messages, etc but nothing happens.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 12:44 AM

12 replies

Nov 30, 2014 5:55 AM in response to DISKIN31

Here it is, the end of November, and i have been dealing with this missing trash can since the day i downloaded iOS 8. I have to shut the phone down just to use the trash can once! Hoped iOS 8.1 would fix the issue . . . no such luck. Surely iOS 8.1.1 will fix it . . . not hardly! I have had an iPad since the original came out, currently have an iPad 4 and iPhone 5C. Never really had a problem with any, until iOS 8. Biggest mistake i have made dealing with any electronics. What is everyone doing to deal with this missing trash can problem? Is there another way to delete specific text messages? Is there a way of deleting just one text message at a time? Has anyone had this problem fixed? I am so frustrated with this issue, especially since there is no way of knowing if Apple is actively pursuing a solution.

Dec 3, 2014 7:27 PM in response to Red D. Lishes

I have had this problem for several weeks now - since downloading IOS 8. The only solution is to close messages and when you reopen it the trash can is available again - sometimes for one or two messages. It is not necessary to shut down the phone, but it is necessary to close and reopen messages.

I went to the Apple Store. They tried a partial restart of my phone but it didn't help.

Does anyone know if Apple is working on this issue. It is really annoying.!

Apr 29, 2015 9:12 AM in response to trainerguy

It is NOT necessary to restart your phone. If the problem persists, all you need to do is close Messages and reopen.

However, there has been at least a partial fix to this problem with the newest software update. I still find that periodically my message app freezes and I can no longer tap the message to get the MORE instruction. But this happens very infrequently and then I have to simply close Messages and reopen.

Have you downloaded the latest software update?

ios 8 text message trash vanishes on iphone 5S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.