Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8: WhatsApp unable to restore my chat's copy from iCloud

Hi to all!

I upgrade my iPhone 5 to iOS 8 and I decided to restore my iPhone without a backup, because I had a lot of apps and everything goes slow.

When I install WhatsApp I can't restore the chat's backup (the app says that is not available yet in iOS 8.

In addition, I want to know if it is possible to restore my Messages (SMS and iMessages).

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Antonio.

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 1:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 2:52 AM

I've the same problem !!! Moreover, the backup that I've done before the installation of IOS8 doesn't work and it seems that the previous backup of Whatsapp chat on iCloud with more 10000 messages is been replaced by a new backup of 1 message... I hope that all my data wasn't lost !!!

Apple... ?!?

13 replies

Sep 24, 2014 2:40 PM in response to antofigo

I Have the same issue , i have an iphone 5 and after i updated the iOS 8 , it deleted all of my apps , and whatsapp was one of them, and when i re installed it , i had this page saying i have to restore my chat history form icloud or else i will lose all my datas and then it was written below ' restore chat history' in blue and when i clicked on it , it says fails to restore chat history. And then it says retry or cancel and when i clicked on retry it still fails so i clicked on cancel and the blue line saying ' restore chat history' turned to pale grey saying instead ' chat history is restored ' so what is this , i dont want to risk it and click next on the right up there in the page. And after contacting whatsapp support they replied saying '

'Unfortunately, in-app backup for WhatsApp does not work in iOS 8 at this time. This will be fixed in a future version. We appreciate your patience.

In the mean time, your WhatsApp will be backed up in the back up for your whole phone if you use iCloud or iTunes.' We need any solution for this problem please help.

User uploaded file

Sep 24, 2014 2:52 PM in response to antofigo

And i also didn't back up my whatsapp history on icloud because i had no free space available, and at first i had the page saying ' no back ups found ' but after i contact whatsapp , i dont know what exactly happened and i found the line saying ' no back ups found ' turned into ' restore chat history ' in the picture i sent in the 1st reply. So it's all weird and this needs to be fixedUser uploaded file

Dec 8, 2015 6:44 PM in response to piccolanovy

Maybe it's because of the iOS upgrade. Make sure you have backup iPhone well next time when you need to upgrade the iOS system. The best and safest way is to backup iPhone to iTunes or computer. If you cannot restore Whatsapp chat history, you can try to connect your iPhone to iTunes or iPhone data recovery and restore Whatsapp chat history from iPhone. Go to the iTunes, click iPhone icon, go to summary > restore backup. See the image:

User uploaded file

Mar 16, 2016 8:24 AM in response to lannytyndall

I did a iTunes back-up and can see that over 30,000 messages of WhatsApp have been backed up (I used a 3rd party software to check. It is called iPhone Backup Extractor). My iphone was reset by my kid (after unsuccessful passcodes).

Now when I try to restore my iPhone from the back-up - it doesnt restore the WhatsApp messages. What I checked is that after the restore - when I click WhatsApp - it asks me to upgrade the WhatsApp to the latest version first (so I guess when I backed up my phone to iTunes - it backed up an older version of WhatsApp. Now after the upgrade - it asks me to register the phone number etc after which I dont see the backed up messages.

Any idea what I need to do ? {I have repeated the process 3 times after erasing my phone each time...}

I am on ios 9.2.1 on iPhone 6Plus

iOS 8: WhatsApp unable to restore my chat's copy from iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.