Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5 not picking up wifi after ios 8 upgrade

Hi

Since upgrading the software on my iphone 5 to ios 8 yesterday, my phone is no longer picking up any wifi signals. I have tried reseting the network settings and upon reboot it shows the signals in the area only for them to drop after about 20 seconds and then not return. (My ipad is connecting to the signals absolutely fine so it is not the router with the problem)

With that I then did a full system reset back to factory settings, and in the set up pages after reboot, it was still unable to pick up any wifi signals.

I am fearful that ios8 has somehowe broken the hardware as the software reset hasnt made it work?

Any idea's anyone?

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 1:41 AM

5 replies

Sep 19, 2014 11:50 PM in response to Aleathem

You're right, it's an iOS 8 bug with certain iPhone models, but not with others. - But I can tell you, the hardware is not affected.

After noticing that my Wi-Fi could no longer pick up any signal, I downgraded my iPhone 5s (iPhone6,2 model, mid-2014) back to 7.1.2 where the Wi-Fi works as well as it always has.

I also upgraded an iPhone 4s to iOS 8 and the Wi-Fi worked fine!

I have done the upgrade+downgrade about 5 times, now, using different upgrade methods (over-the-air, automatic through itunes, manual restore with different IPSWs (including pre-release iOS Gold Master)).

In other words, (1) I am certain this is a software bug, (2) I'm going to stick to 7.1.2 on iPhone 5s for the time being.

If you're considering downgrading, now: It's easy to do, but it only makes sense if you have a backup of your phone (on computer or iCloud) from before the upgrade, as backups made running iOS 8 won't work on 7.1.2. Furthermore, if you have such a backup from, say, two days ago, your phone "won't remember" anything from these last two days; you'll effectively travel back in time.

So, either you stick with iOS 8 but without Wi-Fi until a fix is released or you downgrade and lose two days of memory.

PS: if you tag this reply as having "solved" your problem, maybe it will be seen by more people and hopefully this will get more traction. Frankly, I am surprised this hasn't caused an uproar. I'm wondering if all those affected have noticed that their Wi-Fi is MIA.

Sep 20, 2014 4:28 AM in response to Aleathem

Alright. Please make sure to let me know what they say. I'm curious. we can't be the only ones facing this problem.

Also, if "iCloud Backup" was enabled, you may have a backup "online". - Look under "Settings>iCloud>Storage>Manage Storage" or under "Settings>iCloud>Backup"

If you don't have a backup online (and none on iTunes) then the only thing (I think) they can do at Apple for you is to downgrade it to 7.1.2 so you can use your Wi-Fi again, but, you'd lose every content and setting on your iPhone (-> Restore to factory settings).

(That you could do yourself by downloading and installing the 7.1.2 firmware - see/download through eg. theiphonewiki.com)

If you can bear using it without WiFi for a while, it may be best to wait for 8.0.1 to be released.

Since iOS 1, Apple has systematically released an .0.1 version within 3 to 6 weeks of the initial release.

PS: again, if you mark this post as "having helped you", I think we may reach more people facing the same issue. I'm still surprised to have found only two other people online who have the same problem.

Iphone 5 not picking up wifi after ios 8 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.