Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 mail app only archives even when set to delete for gmail

iOS 8 and Gmail is behaving oddly with regard to delete and is still only archiving them. Option IS set to the delete option in the account setup and not archive. I have read the Apple guideance documents on deleting and archiving in Gmail accounts.

In iOS mail app in gmail account , long swipe left (delete), short swipe left then choose trash and short swipe and choose move to trash all have the same effect on message. The message disppears from inbox and if you look in the trash folder for the gmail account you momentarily see message as it syncs with server then the message disappears from trash folder. (looking directly at server shows message not present).

However looking at the "All mail" gmail folder shows message STILL present there.

Compare with the iOS Gmail app. Delete a message from inbox and it appears in trash folder and stays there. At this time it is also still present in the All Mail folder. Choose then to delete forever option and disappears from both Trash AND the All Mail folder.

iOS Mail app with Gmail accounts appears with the TRASH option only to move emails to trash locally but then as soon as sync with server it disappears from the Trash folder with no further action but remains in the All Folder. This is in effect an Archive. It should

work as as the Gmail iOS app - messages deleted or trashed are moved to Trash (from where they can be restored ) and remain there till deleted permantly manually or the Trash can is automatically purged after set time on server.

iPad, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 4:12 AM

11 replies

Sep 26, 2014 2:56 PM in response to GoGas38

Seems to work properly for me. Are we looking at the same place? to instruct it to Delete instead of Archive:

In Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > (select account) > Account (select your e-mail address) > Advanced.

Mailbox Behavior for Deleted Mailbox: Trash.

then

Move Discarded Messages Into: Deleted Mailbox.

It wasn't this way by default. Move Discarded was Archive, and it gave the results you described. Changing that to Deleted works for me.

I set the Swipe left-to-right to Archive. So now one swipe will Archive, the other will Delete.

oooh... p.s.... this seems to work as well:

http://www.imore.com/how-use-archive-and-trash-simultaneously-ios-8-mail-app

Oct 15, 2014 2:12 PM in response to Thomas Moy1

Aafter much testing have fixed and worked out the problem. The Gmail account wa originally setup on ios6, upgraded to iOS 7 and then ios 8. Due to previous problems the account on the iPad had been setup to use the Exchange interface to GMail as in previous visions this worked better with sync etc. I deactivated this Exchange type connection and made new account setup using the Gmail account option of mail in iOS8. It now seems to work correctly , so answer is to use correct type account. I cannot remember whether I tested the Excahnge version thoroughly in previous iOS versions so cannot say if this is a new problem or just been there for some time.

Thanks to those who have contributed.

Nov 24, 2014 8:46 PM in response to GoGas38

I had the same problem and deativated the google apps exchange account and set it up as a Google (IMAP) account and the problem went away. The exchange account worked fine on iOS 7. This seems to be an ios 8.1.1 issue with Google exchange. I prefer to use exchange over IMAP and hope Apple will fix this on their next update.

Dec 2, 2014 11:59 AM in response to GoGas38

I was becoming frustrated with the same thing and found this thread. I have google apps setup as exchange on my iPhone and this worked.

Here is the fix:

1. Open Safari and go to m.google.com/sync/settings from your device. For some reason Chrome on desktop doesn't have complete list but from Safari on phone they are all shown.

2. Choose your device from the list if you have more than one

3. Check the Enable "Delete Email As Trash" for this device

4. Click Save

Found here:

http://www.coolheadtech.com/resources/get-your-iphone-to-delete-messages-in-goog le-apps

Jun 6, 2015 9:20 AM in response to GoGas38

I was having these problems as well, but set up my gmail settings separating mail & contacts into different accounts with the ios Mail programs, not exchange settings. But going into the account settings for each gmail account, under advanced I located the problem. There are two options... Archive & delete. Select delete and the problems fixed. Also there are options to deal with where archive goes.... Given the major annoyance that deleted mail goes into the All Mail folder on gmail and then Ned's to be deleted once again later.

Jun 10, 2015 10:08 AM in response to HansWorldTravels

hmmm, well this doesn't quite work either. I have 3 gMail accounts and each operates differently on iOS 8/iPad.

The left swipe for all accounts results in the red trash block showing.

Account #1 - Advanced -> Mailbox Behaviors -> Deleted Mail -> Trash & Move Discarded Messages Into - > Trash Mailbox

Archived Mail -> All Mail (You can select Trash, but backing out & reentering -> reverts to All Mail)

Account #2 - All the same behaviors, except you cannot select Trash in the first place.

I guess the only upside, instead of having the "file box" at the top of the email application, there is now a "trash can" for quick deletion of emails while reading the email headers & first few lines of text (not swiping left). Wouldn't just having both a trash can (trash) & a file box (Archive) at the top be easier? Why is it only one or the other???

iOS 8 mail app only archives even when set to delete for gmail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.