Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

multi-day iOS 8 downloads for Boston area FIOS

User uploaded file

Hello,

I'm on Verizon FIOS (50Mb/25Mb) in two different locations in the western suburbs of Boston. I have been trying to download iOS 8 since its release. I've tried using iTunes (l11.4 on OS X 10.9.5), and downloading directly from the apple website (http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS8) using Safari (7.1). In each case, the download says that it will take longer than a day, and then it times out, and then for iTunes, I have to restart the download (back to 0MB), and for the web download, I can resume.

I've restarted the internet routers, I've restarted the computers, and yet the problem is persistent. I know that the Apple servers must be busy, but it has been two days now since iOS 8 was released, and I've never had a problem like this even on day 0.

There aren't any problems with my internet connections (I have two separate connections, and I can download updates from Adobe, or MacUpdate in the usual snappy manner). So what's the deal?

I am unable to download over the air (I don't have the available space on my devices), but I suspect that would be worse because the downloads are larger and they'd use the same internet connection anyway (via wifi).

I'd appreciate it if someone at Apple HQ could look into this please.

Ugh, as I was writing this, one of the downloads timed out again.

I'm looking at more than a day at this rate, not including timeouts.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Your very loyal customer (of more than 30 years), amateur evangelist, and shareholder.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 4:13 AM

16 replies

Sep 19, 2014 4:24 AM in response to BozPSU

Just a moment ago, I started to get better download speeds via the web.

Look on the back of your devices to find their model numbers and then try this URL which links to apple download servers.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/09/ios-8-download.html

Using Safari, you can pause and resume the downloads, and if they timeout, you can resume from where they left off, as opposed to starting 0MB if the downloads timeout with iTunes.

One of the two downloads went from 30 hours to 3 minutes and actually finished! And the second one (shown above) now has 2 minutes left! Finally!

Thank you Apple for looking into this so quickly!

Sep 19, 2014 4:35 AM in response to TigerKR

There is no one from Apple on here, we are all fellow users and not Apple employees.

THere have been a lot of comments from users about download speeds since iOS 8 was released...the problem of several million people trying to download at the same time. After a few days things tend to get back to normal operation.

Verizon was down for several hours in my area, so part of this issue may very well be Verizon also having problems...overload of their system.

Sep 20, 2014 6:00 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

Cross posting so that someone can search on this and see that it's a probalem.

I am seeing this as well. In Googling this, I ran across something about changing DNS settings on my Verizon FIOS router - which I did to Google - and speed increased slightly then decreased again. iOS 8 downloads reporting 30-40 hours. I am now just trying to download the iTunes update at 244 MB and I have over 2 hours of remaining time. If I connect to my work computer (a university computer system but not VPN) remotely, I was able to run the update downloads to that computer in minutes.

what the heck ??

Sep 21, 2014 2:13 AM in response to TigerKR

I am having the same issues with Verizon FiOS in Baltimore - been trying since Thursday to download the iOS 8 update for my iPad Air with no luck; it always tells me it will take more than 24 hours to download, and the download always fails within the first hour. I got lucky one evening with the phone update for my phone, but now my wife is unable to get the update. I'm beginning to suspect this may in fact be a Verizon problem...

Sep 21, 2014 4:36 PM in response to TigerKR

It's definitely a FIOS problem. I'm in Northern Virginia and iTunes said over 2 days. I tried to download the IPSW firmware file manually to side load it into the device and even still it was going to take multiple days. For kicks and grins I connected to an outside VPN server and low and behold the download is now taking just minutes. I've confirmed this problem is consistent with FIOS users on multiple sites and forums so my recommendation is that if you're experiencing super slow IOS 8 firmware download times, find yourself a VPN server to connect to and then try again. Even if your VPN connects through another country, it'll still be quicker than downloading through FIOS directly. I'm not sure what the problem is but hopefully Verizon will figure it out. Very disappointing. Hope this helps.

Sep 22, 2014 10:49 PM in response to TigerKR

Grr… Still getting throttled FIOS speeds. Trying to download OS X Update Combined 10.9.5 for an iMac I just upgraded using a Time Machine backup, and its listing 6+ hours for a 1GB download, and the estimated download time keeps getting longer.

I'm getting 27 Mbit/s download speeds from speedtest.net while downloading this update. This is certainly either targeted throttling of specific Apple CDN packets, or a severe miss-configuration somewhere.

I really wish FIOS wasn't throttling Apple OS updates. Grr…

Sep 23, 2014 6:15 AM in response to TigerKR

FYI - fixed using DNS changes AND turning off "Internet Connection Fastpath" under the Broadband connection Settings

see post here:

Re: Does Verizon Fios throttle updates?

which leads you to this list of DNS servers here: (it also didn't work for me with the first three in the list - used Public-Root DNS

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/a/free-public-dns-servers.htm

Make sure you also flush your old DNS settings!

OS X: How to reset the DNS cache

my time went from 26+ hours to just minutes - finally.

good luck!

multi-day iOS 8 downloads for Boston area FIOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.