Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Home and Lock screen is a battery hog according to IOS8.

What settings can lower the usage? What is being used by the Home and Lock Screen?

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 6:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 6:32 AM

Hello stephenfrompalm beach gardens,

The page linked below details a number of settings that you can adjust that can help reduce battery usage.

Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan
http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#ios

Cheers,

Allen

10 replies

Sep 24, 2014 7:08 AM in response to stephenfrompalm beach gardens

URL Home & Lock screen battery usage 47% asks the same question, and so do I. The answer MAY be the Home & Lock Screen are being used while the phone does nothing else; i.e., when the phone is locked. This would mean everything else is getting trivial use stats and the lock screen is the only thing "being used." Still seems high.

Oct 10, 2014 11:28 AM in response to nathan_h

Home & Lock Screen. This indicates that the Home screen or Lock screen was displayed on your device. For example, the display was awakened by pressing the Home button or by a notification.

If an app frequently wakes your display with notifications, you can turn off push notifications for the app in Settings > Notifications. Tap App and set Allow Notifications to Off.

Nov 24, 2014 11:17 PM in response to rkstiens

Some digging around, and I have resolved the following...

a) clean the docking connector [30 Pin] on the iPhone with a dry tooth brush [careful; don't want to damage the delicate pins].

Blow out any dust you dislodge.

Use a torch to make sure all is dislodged and cleared out. May be look at the plug too.

b) my friends iPhone would not stay turned Off [press and hold the Power Button, Slide to Off]

it would shut down, then almost immediately start up again.

This is an indication that there is conductive dirt in or damage to the docking connector.

If these are your symptoms, you might want to have a repair shop replace the connector [about AU$75.00 in our local shop]

I will be interested to here what Apple Genius Bar has to say.

It is apparently a fairly common problem with older iPhone 4 and 4s models.

Nov 25, 2014 12:03 AM in response to Robert J McInnes

Are you using iOS 8.1.1? Try to restore 8.1.

I had a battery drain problem with my iPhone 4s as well, which could not be resolved with bluetooth off / mail push off / screen dimming / apps background refresh off / location services off / etc.. When restored to 8.1 the battery drain (usage due to background activity while the phone is 'sleeping') was gone...

Feb 8, 2015 8:02 PM in response to Koffie

Koffie,

Just a quick catchup: I replaced the Docking Connector, and all is fixed.

I looked at tacking it my self, but with iPhone 4s, its a virtual complete strip don to get to it, I do not have the patience for that.

To top off the issue, the connector is about $30.00, and replacement by the local "fix anything" guru workshop was $75.00.

Worked perfectly.

I also replaced the 30pin USB cable, it looked a little suspect.

Ciao...

My Home and Lock screen is a battery hog according to IOS8.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.