Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Personal ringtones gone after ios8 and cannot re-sync them back to phone

I recently upgraded to the ios8 and had to restore the phone from the backup. Now my personal ringtones aren't on the phone, nor can I manually sync them! HELP

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 6:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 2:33 PM

Me too. I assume it's a bug? 😟

35 replies

Sep 20, 2014 3:48 PM in response to coldlyhot

I'm not clear on this guidance. My Ringtones are indeed in my iTunes Library under "Tones" and my iPad has always had the radio button to Sync "All Tones" on, but they are not accessible on the iPad via the "Sounds" area of the "General" settings after the iOS8 upgrade. Can you clarify, please?

(Note that my iPhone is fine -- all the tones transferred).

Sep 24, 2014 9:45 AM in response to beach757

I had the same issue as everyone else here on tones. Only one issue of MANY after upgrading from a 4S to a 6. The tones WERE listed in my iTunes library and they WERE checked off to sync. But they steadfastly refused to do so. The solution eluded me until this morning.

Seem Apple, with their 'infinite wisdom' (or lack thereof) created a new folder in iTunes Media called Tones, not Ringtones as before. In fact, both folders exist in my iTunes Media folder. All I did was move my custom tones from the old Ringtones folder to the new Tones folder. Sync. Voila!! All is well in the world, well almost. But it's getting there!!

Sep 26, 2014 9:14 AM in response to beach757

Unfortunately you have to convert Mp3 to M4r to work now. Spent 2 hours to figure this out.

See below !!!

________________________________________________________________________________ _____________________

Apple® iTunes® can also be used to convert an MP3 to M4R but the process is a little involved and the directions might be slightly different depending on the version. In general, the imported MP3 must be first converted to the AAC format (which is essentially the same as M4P), then manually renamed from an MP4 to an M4R file.

To use iTunes® to convert an MP3 files to M4R, add the MP3 file to your iTunes® Library. Right-click on the file once more, and choose "Create ACC version" from the popup menu. (This will only appear if you select under iTunes Preferences > General > Import Settings > Import Using AAC Encoder

on a MAC:

Now navigate to the folder where iTunes® has saved this file (or Right Click and Show in Finder ). It should have created 3-4 different versions there.. Mp3, m4a and M4r. Select the M4r version and drag over to TONES in iTunes...now sync your phone with iTunes

On a PC

Now navigate to the folder where iTunes® has saved this file (or Right Click and Show in Finder ). Use the computer’s Search feature to find the file name, or look in the default Music folder, then inside the iTunes® folder. Scroll down until you find the saved file, which will be an M4A file.

Drag the file to the Desktop (a copy will be generated), then go into iTunes® and delete the original file. The Desktop copy will remain.

Return to the Desktop and rename the ringtone file with an M4R extension. If you cannot see file extensions, go to Folder Options (via Control Panel) and under the View tab, uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" and try again. Once the file has been successfully renamed, click on it and iTunes® will import it into the Ringtones folder. Synch your iPhone® to upload the ringer.

ALSO SEE http://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-create-custom-iphone-ringtones-in-itunes/

Sep 30, 2014 11:24 PM in response to beach757

After a few hours I figured out how to restore my ringtones. I still have my old phone and it's active as I just switched today and haven't traded it in yet. I made sure that I synced my old phone to my Itunes account and then went into my itunes account on my desktop to make sure my ringtones were there. Then I unplugged my old phone and plugged in my new phone to my desktop and restarted Itunes. I brought up my tones/ringtones (click on "tones" in the sidebar) then I checked all of my ringtones. Look on your sidebar and you should see your Iphone device listed and under that one of the selections will be tones. Go to the list of your ringtones then right click on each ringtone you want on your Iphone and DRAG to the section where your Iphone device is listed in the sidebar. As you do this it will highlight that entire section as a blue box. Don't let go until you've seen the box highlighted and then you'll see a spinning icon next to the line "Iphone device". Repeat for every ringtone. Then go to the sidebar and click on the line "Iphone Device" and then you'll see at the bottom of the screen a menu of colored tabs followed by the word "SYNC" click on it and it will sync your ringtones to your new phone that is plugged in. Then exit out of your Itunes account, unplug your phone and cable from your computer. Go into your phone's settings, click on Sounds, then Ringtone and you'll see your list of ringtones! Sounds harder than it is but this worked for me. If you don't have your old phone or had never backed it up on your computer then likely you're out of luck. I'm no computer expert by far but am stubborn enough to play around until I can figure a way to make it work if at all possible.

Oct 4, 2014 1:51 PM in response to ohhenryca

As Apple is so - easy to use - I've been annoyed at wasting time to getting this simple 'click and done' task done.

I would have expected that Apple would have sorted this simple issue by now.

(I'm an iPhone newbie: the Android, Windows, Sony OS's I've used of late get your own ringtone setup done in 2 to 3 clicks done on the phone. From simple file transfer to setup. )

Very happy to have found your response.

Personal ringtones gone after ios8 and cannot re-sync them back to phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.