Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shared iMovie project to iCloud drive does not show up in iCloud Drive

I shared an iMovie project to iCloud Drive yesterday morning. It still does not show up on any of my devices. I opened iMovie on my iPhone and I only see 2 videos I put in there, the project does not show. On my Windows PC with iCloud 4.0 it does not show, and on my iMac running Public Beta 3, it does not show. I can see it in iCloud Drive still on my iPad however. Any idea why it is not syncing? Any place to see syncing status?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 6:54 AM

8 replies

Dec 26, 2014 8:09 AM in response to Stuke00

Pathetic! When I saw iCloud Drive I thought "finally!". Just tried to use iMovie, editing projects from iPad to Mac... to discover it is not possible for whatever reason. It is sad that Apple, after some long years, have no mastered yet what simple solutions such as DropBox do it easily. 3 months after the original post and no solution. Deeply disappointed.

May 2, 2015 6:58 AM in response to JmEgydio

JmEgydio wrote:

Pathetic! When I saw iCloud Drive I thought "finally!". Just tried to use iMovie, editing projects from iPad to Mac... to discover it is not possible for whatever reason. It is sad that Apple, after some long years, have no mastered yet what simple solutions such as DropBox do it easily. 3 months after the original post and no solution. Deeply disappointed.

I agree. Can't see movies in iMovie folder in iCloud Drive on iCloud.com.

I can see them in the iMovie app on my devices but not at iCloud.com.

What if I want to view a video on iCloud.com in my iMovie theater?

Jun 12, 2015 12:26 PM in response to Stuke00

Hello,

to get iCloud to "notice" the shared iMovie directory across all devices, you need to

1) go to iMovie on your Mac

2) Preferences

3) Click checkbox for Theatre: Automatically upload to iCloud

Now create a 5 sec movie on Mac to test, and export to iTheatre.

The upload to iCloud commences and does take some time.

Do same on iPhone/iPad, i.e. a small 5 sec test movie.

The iMovie directory will be visible, but, data not accessible till upload completed...AND...download completed on the next device.

It all takes time.

nick

Dec 3, 2016 2:22 PM in response to Nick Frisina

Hello Nick,

Thanks for the help and great reply, but I have some other questions...

1) In order to actually view my iMovie projects on my other devices (after I export to iTheatre) I would need to have iMovie down loaded on my iPod/iPhone/iPad correct?

2) Also, if I wanted to save my iMovie projects into my iCloud Drive Folder on my Mac I would have to:

Share>File>iMovie-iCloud correct? or is there a better way?

3) If step 2 is correct, can I batch export all my projects into my iCloud folder on my Mac or do I have to export/save every project/video separately?

Thanks for any advance...

Dec 4, 2016 1:14 PM in response to Skeptical Nerd

hi.

Once the iMovie is Exported to the Theatre...it is no longer a Project, but a finished product, a single entity, not an aggregation of mini-files. It is of the form ".MOV" or "MP4" depending on your choices.

To view the movie you only need a movie player, and access to the movie.

It does not have to be viewed inside the iMovie App.

If you use iMovie on a new device to edit a previously exported to Theatre movie...it will now a New Movie, and need to be re-exported to Theatre.

Once you tick the CheckBoxes to Upload to Theatre on iPhone, iPad, iMac etc, then all the movies in Theatre will upload and be visible...over time...not instantaneous.

Be aware that on mobile devices the extra CheckBox for Mobile Data....this can get expensive.

Be aware also that the 5GB minimum from Apple will fill very quickly, and you will have to purchase a monthly subscription to larger data amounts from Apple. (No sync will take place if you are at size limit).

Good Luck

nickf

Shared iMovie project to iCloud drive does not show up in iCloud Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.