Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain issues with external bootable drive

Background:

I have a laptop which appears to have developed a logic board fault. In preparation for taking it to the Apple store for diagnosis and repair I replaced the internal drive with a bare OS install. I moved the internal drive into a USB3 enclosure and am option-booting into the OS on the USB3 drive. With the original laptop this works flawlessly. I have access to an alternative laptop, of a newer vintage. I was planning on option-booting the alternative laptop into my USB3 drive so that I can collect email and other things while my laptop is off for repair.

System Specs:

I expect, as a long time Apple software developer, that the question below likely has nothing to do with the specific hardware that I am using. All computers and drives have Mac OS X 10.9.5 installed. The old laptop is a MacBookPro8,2, 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 250GB internal drive (a temporary replacement) with an AMD Radeon HD 6750M. The new laptop is a MacBookPro11,3, 2.5GHz, 16GB RAM, 500GB storage with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M. The drive which was previously installed in the old laptop and is now in the USB3 enclosure is a Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III.

The Problem:

When I boot the alternate laptop and log into my account all of the passwords in my "Local Items" keychain disappear!

More information:

I have determined that a new "Local Items" keychain has been created that appears to be specific to each machine. A new directory with a different UUID identifier was created in ~/Library/Keychains. Each machine does not have access within Keychain Access to the other machine-specific "Local Items" keychain.

I have not found a way of locally transferring my passwords into the new "Local Items" keychain because when booted into either laptop the other "Local Items" keychain does not appear within Keychain Access.

I do not have iCloud keychain turned on and do not want to turn it on.

Irritating to implement workaround:

Copy all of my keychain items into the login keychain and empty the "Local Items" keychain. The login keychain is preserved between option-boots on the different hardware.

Preferred Solution:

I would prefer a solution which doesn't have me working against what Apple is obviously doing in relation to the iCloud keychain even though I don't want to participate. It would probably work to turn on iCloud keychain and then turn it off after the passwords are transferred — this is not an acceptable solution because I do not wish for my passwords to be stored on Apple's servers even for a short period of time.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Early 2011, 16GB, 250GB SSD

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 8:25 AM

There are no replies.

Keychain issues with external bootable drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.