Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

confirmation on the term "SIM free"

I have been planning to buy an iPhone 6 Plus while in Japan next month as for the first time, Apple stores in Tokyo are selling SIM free iPhones in-store. I have been reading contradicting articles/forums on the terms "SIM-Free" and "unlocked". Can someone please confirm this for me...it just doesn't seem right for a SIM-free phone to be at the price it is if it will only be locked down to one carrier.

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 8:54 AM

8 replies

Sep 19, 2014 8:58 AM in response to ordinarygirlPH

Those phones will only work with a supported carrier in Japan and they will lock to the first Japanese carrier used. You can NOT use it on ANY carrier outside of Japan at all.

SIM Free does NOT equal "unlocked". Unlocked iPhones are not available in Japan and the Japanese carriers do not offer unlocking.

If you feel that's wrong, or otherwise have a problem with it, share your feelings with the Japanese government.

Sep 19, 2014 9:39 AM in response to KiltedTim

maybe things have changed as according to Apple Online Store Japan (with the help of google translate) it states:

"All the features of the iPhone is equipped with the iPhone SIM Free, but there is no wireless contractual obligations. You can select your favorite businesses from telecom operators of wireless network corresponding NTT DoCoMo, KDDI, such as Softbank, and use it to activate the iPhone. For more information about SIM SIM and whether it is available, please contact your wireless service provider to use. The 6 Plus iPhone and iPhone 6 of SIM free, there are times when it does not correspond to the 4G LTE network in some countries. Please contact your wireless service provider for details.

If you do not want the service signed multi-year agreements, if you want to use the communication operators of local overseas, it is recommended that you choose the iPhone SIM Free. Since the nano-SIM card is not included with the 6 Plus iPhone and iPhone 6 of SIM free, please obtain a card from the telecom operators of the corresponding countries. Is inserted into the slot of the iPhone this card, if you turn on the power, please set according to the display on the screen. You can start using the iPhone in this."

i am not too worried about warranty as my brother in law lives there and i can always send it over if there are issues. Most of the iPhones here in the Philippines are carrier locked or imported anyway. i would just like to triple check so i don't get hyped up for nothing

Sep 19, 2014 9:36 AM in response to ordinarygirlPH

ordinarygirlPH wrote:

I have been planning to buy an iPhone 6 Plus while in Japan next month as for the first time, Apple stores in Tokyo are selling SIM free iPhones in-store. I have been reading contradicting articles/forums on the terms "SIM-Free" and "unlocked". Can someone please confirm this for me...it just doesn't seem right for a SIM-free phone to be at the price it is if it will only be locked down to one carrier.

SIM-free means it does not come with a SIM and it is not yet currently locked to any specific cell carrier.

Sep 22, 2014 4:03 PM in response to ordinarygirlPH

I am going to Tokyo in couple days, gonna cross check it and bring my own working NANO SIM from my home country which is used in my iPhone 5 that have roaming.

Let's try.

I'm in the opinion that the SIM FREE literally means it can be use with ANY SIM*..

However it will have LTE restrictions to JAPAN only. I guess so.

But.. We'll see..

I will report after testing it in Japan with my home SIM.

confirmation on the term "SIM free"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.