Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS8 had messed up my APN?

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone can shed some light for me as I'm having a really difficult time trying to get my phone to connect to cellular data after updating to iOS 8 a few days ago. Basically I strongly think it has something to do with the APN except after updating to iOS 8 the APN settings in cellular data had disappeared and I'm at a loss on how find it. My phone is an unlocked iPhone 5s with a pre-paid card from NTTdocomo Japan. I saw from one of the support pages from apple saying that "If your carrier allows it, you can view the APN settings on your iOS device in Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Network." Does this mean that my carrier docomo is not ready for iOS 8 or are my carrier settings removed and I need to update and instal them somehow? Sorry if I don't make sense anymore as I'm new to APNs (if thats really the problem.) The error message that pop's up when I open my safari browser is "PDP authentication failure."

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 8:58 AM

5 replies

Sep 22, 2014 8:59 AM in response to Jonathan002

Hey there Jonathan002,

It sounds like you are not able to see any APN settings and cannot connect to your cellular service after updating to iOS 8. I have an article for you that should help you get that resolved, named:

iPhone: Troubleshooting a cellular data connection

Follow these steps for help troubleshooting cellular data issues on your iPhone. After performing each step, please test to see if the issue is resolved.

1. Toggle airplane mode: Tap Settings, turn airplane mode on, wait three seconds, and then turn off again.
  2. Restart your iPhone.
  3. Make sure that your software is up to date:
  4. Remove the SIM Card and reinsert it. Allow the iPhone to acquire the network again.
  5. If your SIM card has SIM PIN enabled, try turning it off: Tap Settings > Phone > SIM PIN.
  6. Try another location. If a different location works, but the original location still doesn't, contact your carrier to report the issue.
  7. Reset network settings: Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
  8. Restore the iPhone as new.
  9. Contact your carrier to:
    • Verify that the iPhone is properly set up on the account with the appropriate, current data plan.
    • Verify that there are no account-related blocks.
    • Find out if there are specific error messages in the carrier logs that could help determine why the issue is occurring.

If none of the above steps resolves the issue, contact your carrier, make an appointment at an Apple Retail Store, or contact AppleCare to troubleshoot further.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care,

Sterling

Sep 25, 2014 11:45 AM in response to Jonathan002

iOS 8 Update Nightmare!

iOS 8 Update let me without the iPhone 5.

I just updated to iOS 8.0.1 on my iPhone 5 16GB, mobile carrier is 3 Three UK.

Since the update I lost the mobile network entirely,(carrier setings disappear) and it shows "no service".

I contact my carrier provider 3 Three UK and Customer Service told me that I not supposed to do the update.
On 3 Three Customer Support website write that the customers must do the OS updates.
They told me that the new versio of iOS 8 is only for iPhone 6.
They told me to contact Apple customer service because is Apple responsability.

I contact on Saturday Apple SUpport.
I spend around one hour witout result.

I contact again on Sunday Apple SUpport.
I spend around one hour with Senior Suport manahager witout result. I got and apoiment to Apple tech shop.

I spend a half o day doing the same things that we done before witout any result.

They assume that is a hardware fail with the phone. They don't know for shure but they try all software setings.

THe only solution I have is to pay £200 to replace my handset.

£200 + one day working lost = the price to pay for Apple testing the new iOS8.

Be aware that is no chance to rollback to iOS7, Apple told me.

And the iOS 8 nightmare continue..

Oct 22, 2014 5:47 AM in response to Jonathan002

Hi Jonathan,

By coincidence, I'm in Tokyo today and also bought a Pre-Paid SIM from So-net, using the docomo network. I'm using the new iPhone 6 with iOS 8 and faced exactly the same situation.

In looking further on the so-net website, I found the following (http://www.so-net.ne.jp/prepaid/en/index.html):

If you have a non-NTT DOCOMO device and it is SIM locked, you need to unlock it first. You must also set the access point name (APN) on your device.

• If you have an iPhone 5s or iPhone 5c, you must install the APN profile from the following website beforehand via a wireless LAN or other Internet connection.
    http://www.so-net.ne.jp/prepaid/i/
    Visit the page using Safari on your iPhone.

The above link actually proceeds to download the APN configuration which cannot be manually entered in iOS 8.

The settings are then listed in Settings --> General --> Profile (below VPN at bottom of screen)

This fixed my issue and I believe it will fix yours!

Be well,

Byron

http://about.me/byronian

Mar 28, 2015 10:41 AM in response to Byron Nifakis

TThank you very much, Byron. I was totally lost my way to get the prepaid sim work in Japan, luckily I can search your reply which help me to fix it!

Byron Nifakis wrote:

Hi Jonathan,

By coincidence, I'm in Tokyo today and also bought a Pre-Paid SIM from So-net, using the docomo network. I'm using the new iPhone 6 with iOS 8 and faced exactly the same situation.

In looking further on the so-net website, I found the following (http://www.so-net.ne.jp/prepaid/en/index.html):

If you have a non-NTT DOCOMO device and it is SIM locked, you need to unlock it first. You must also set the access point name (APN) on your device.

• If you have an iPhone 5s or iPhone 5c, you must install the APN profile from the following website beforehand via a wireless LAN or other Internet connection.
    http://www.so-net.ne.jp/prepaid/i/
    Visit the page using Safari on your iPhone.

The above link actually proceeds to download the APN configuration which cannot be manually entered in iOS 8.

The settings are then listed in Settings --> General --> Profile (below VPN at bottom of screen)

This fixed my issue and I believe it will fix yours!

Be well,

Byron

http://about.me/byronian

iOS8 had messed up my APN?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.