Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS8 Facetime and Guided Access will not work.

I have young children(toddlers) that use facetime to video chat to close family relatives. On ios7 I could activate guided access after I placed the facetime call. Now I can no longer activate guided access on facetime in ios8. I do have guided access setup in settings and it works on other programs.

I tried this also on my wife's iphone 5 and it also did not work.

Help me please!

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2014 6:04 PM

It is definitely broken in v8/8.0.2. You actually CAN turn it in before you initiate a call but once the call begins you cannot disable or enable it. It also will ignore any painted out touch areas as well - the light gray shows up but it still registers touches in those spaces.

13 replies

Oct 20, 2014 7:10 PM in response to KrishKish

Yeah I was disappointed this did not get resolved in 8.1; when I saw that note I thought it might have.

However it seems they're aware it's not fixed. The bug report I filed eventually got closed and marked indicating it's a duplicate of rdar://18256295 which I cannot see (since I didn't file it and am not an Apple employee) but I do see the status of: still marked as "open." So they know it needs to be resolved. I wish they'd take it seriously though, particularly with this being under the "accessibility" banner.

Oct 20, 2014 7:26 PM in response to grimy

grimy wrote:

You would think they would have issued a fix by now...

Did you download the latest IOS 8.1?

• Resolves issues with Wi-Fi performance that could occur when connected to some base stations
  • Fixes an issue that could prevent connections to Bluetooth hands-free devices
  • Fixes bugs that could cause screen rotation to stop working
  • Adds an option to select between 2G, 3G or LTE networks for cellular data
  • Fixes an issue in Safari where videos would sometimes not play
  • Adds AirDrop support for Passbook passes
  • Adds an option to enable Dictation in Settings for Keyboards, separate from Siri
  • Enables HealthKit apps to access data in the background
  • Fixes an issue that was preventing the use of OS X Caching Server for iOS updates
  • Fixes an issue that prevented Guided Access from working properly
  • Fixes a bug where VoiceOver would not work with third-party keyboards
  • Improves stability and audio quality when using MFi Hearing Aids with iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
  • Fixes an issue with VoiceOver where tone dialing would get stuck on a tone until dialing another number
  • Improves reliability when using handwriting, Bluetooth keyboards and Braille displays with VoiceOver

Nov 5, 2014 4:48 PM in response to grimy

I tried to do guided access while in a facetime call yesterday on 8.1 and it did not do anything. I even tried to launch the facetime app and do it there instead of in the phone app where I usually do it from. I have the same issue, husband travels and I don't want my toddler to be able to leave the app or hang up. This is the first time I have tried to use guided access for Facetime since getting my iphone 6. It worked on prior versions on my iphone 5. I hope apple fixes this soon.

Nov 17, 2014 12:15 PM in response to grimy

8.1.1, out today, mostly resolves this issue. Guided Access is still funky - once you unlock and open the control panel and exit once, subsequent unlocks just exit - you can't change settings like touch or hardware buttons. But you can now turn it on while in a call and disable all presses on the screen. Disabling just screen regions based on where you draw an exclusion seems to still not work.

iOS8 Facetime and Guided Access will not work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.