Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport express not visible in MacBook Air Airplay

I have a MacBook Air OS X 10.9.4 and Airport Express 7.6.4.

In the MacBook Airplay the Airport Express is not visible. Its fine on my iPad and two iPhones - in fact I can find it on the MacBook Air System Preferences>Sounds>outputs and can stream music through it - i just want to see it in my airplay....all i can see is my Apple TV....any ideas???

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 11:01 AM

5 replies

Sep 19, 2014 2:40 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi, the 'Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available' has always been checked - and I have always been able to see Apple TV in the airplay list but not my Airport Express. I have also updated the version of OS X as you suggested but with no change....I click on the Airplay icon on the top tool bar of the MacBrook Air and only see my Apple TV and an option to display 'Open display preferences...'

Jun 14, 2016 4:26 PM in response to nihwrd

I've had the same problem - AirPlay (with the AirPort Express) works with all my devices except my MacBook Pro. After reading the above post by Carolyn Samit, I went to System Preferences > Sound, clicked the Output tab then the AirPort Express in question. The laptop sound began streaming to that device a few moments later.

The AirPort Express is still not listed in the drop-down list of AirPlay devices from the top menu bar.

Come on, Apple!

Airport express not visible in MacBook Air Airplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.