Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues after 10.9.5 update

I have a MacBook Air - I believe it's a 2012 model - it has been flawless. I use it for work in a networked environment (enterprise user) and have noticed that since the upgrade to 10.9.5 it runs much slower, I see the spinning color wheel a lot and the battery is draining at a much faster rate.

I went home with the intention of using Time Machine to restore to a point prior to 10.9.5 but noticed that I had no issues at home.

I'm back in the office today - and while it's better it still is slow and the fan now runs all the time - it never did before.

I believe it has something to do with being in a networked envir

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 10:43 AM

18 replies

Sep 19, 2014 1:59 PM in response to Linc Davis

Since I first posted this I find that it's only an issue if I am on the wired or wireless network at the office - the fan comes on, the battery drains and it starts getting slower. I then unplugged and joined our Guest network and after a few minutes the fan goes off and it runs better. I just plugged back into the network and started getting the same symptoms. On Activity Monitor the top entry is "opendirectoryd" and it varies between 250% and 340%.

Sep 19, 2014 2:14 PM in response to TX_DZD

There have been several other reports of this issue with the update. It seems to be incompatible with at least some Active Directory (AD) servers.

Some of the users affected have been able to correct the problem by deleting the contents of the following folder:

/Library/Preferences/OpenDirectory

and rebooting. Others were not successful. If you take that step, you'll need to rebind to AD. Back up all data before making any changes.

Sep 22, 2014 8:57 AM in response to DannyQQ

To DannyQQ:

Are you saying you cleared the contents of /Library/Preferences/OpenDirectory, rebooted and you still slowness on the mac? Was the fan not coming on prior to 10.9.5? I cleared the contents of the directory and rebooted and the issue is now resolved.

Prior to doing this, I could also resolve it by not being on my company's network - are you an enterprise user?

Good luck.

Sep 22, 2014 11:20 AM in response to Linc Davis

I found that we had a broken search policy in Open Directory Utility (under Authentication and Contacts). Once I deleted them, the opendirectoryd started to behave. As a test I forced a bad search policy back in and opendirectoyd went berserk again. Deleted it and opendirectoryd calmed back down.

You probably will want to restart after the fix.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Don

Sep 27, 2014 8:36 AM in response to wingman_83

If you don't know how to get to your open directory, contact your helpdesk because someone would have to set this up for you, it is not an automatic thing added by Apple. If your Mac is not connected to Active Directory (again check with your helpdesk) this is not what is causing your issue. If you are adventurous and don't mind hosing up you Mac (like me) then read further. Again YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN I am not responsible for you hosing up your MAC or making your helpdesk mad!!!!

1. Open System Preferences and click Accounts.
  2. If the lock icon is locked, unlock it by clicking it and entering the name and password of an administrator.

NOTE: If you don't see a name next to Network Account Server: or a GREEN light next to the name - STOP STOP STOP - This is not your problem!

1. Click Login Options, then click Edit.
  2. Click Open Directory Utility.
  3. If the lock icon is locked, unlock it by clicking it and entering the name and password of an administrator.
  4. Click Search Policy.

Good luck

Sep 27, 2014 7:26 PM in response to donald168

@donald168 I was looking for open directory in Library/preferences/open directory and could not find it, however found it under system preferences/user and groups/login option (under admin account)/join network account security/open directory utility.. what do you suggest I do next? Delete all the open directories ? There are 3 available under the active directory utility tab - Active directory, ldapv3 and NIS, please let me know how to proceed and thanks for all the help !

Issues after 10.9.5 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.