Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 did not work with BELKIN Cables !!! (iPhone 5s)

Hi,

I'm not the only in this situation ?
NON APPLE Cable seems to stop working just with the iOs 8...
I called Apple Support today and they said that we have to use only Apple product... I went olso on my french store where I bought the Belkin cable and they were surprised by my situation !! I could get a refund for my Belkin Cable and now it's working with the Apple one..

Please

Fell free to share your thoughts and brands of cable

Thomas.
Paris, France.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 12:24 PM

33 replies

Nov 30, 2014 5:38 AM in response to Styaster

I have had this same issue with both my iPad and my iPhone. Belkin cables are supposed to work with the model of IPad and iPhone that I have. I have a Gen 4 iPad, and an iPhone 5. My Apple cables are too short and wore out quickly. I wanted a longer cable but Apple provided no such thing. The cables worked fine as long as I did not update the software. That is just plain evil, and I am going to buy a different tablet when I am able to. Apple has some nerve creating this issue with a simple cable. Who do they think the are anyway? If you force us to buy your cables, then make them better and longer!

Nov 30, 2014 7:49 AM in response to bebopteddy

bebopteddy wrote:

I have had this same issue with both my iPad and my iPhone. Belkin cables are supposed to work with the model of IPad and iPhone that I have. I have a Gen 4 iPad, and an iPhone 5. My Apple cables are too short and wore out quickly. I wanted a longer cable but Apple provided no such thing. The cables worked fine as long as I did not update the software. That is just plain evil, and I am going to buy a different tablet when I am able to. Apple has some nerve creating this issue with a simple cable. Who do they think the are anyway? If you force us to buy your cables, then make them better and longer!

A longer cable than what? Their 6' cables? I've never worn an Apple cable out so perhaps the problem is with the way you use them. If you have issues with Belkin not keeping their cables up to date so they work with the latest software you too need to contact Belkin. From what I've read Apple went with the chipped cables because cheap knockoffs were found to be a fire hazard. You don't have to buy Apple cables. Just make sure the third party brands you buy are made well enough that they don't quit working after an OS update.

Nov 30, 2014 7:58 AM in response to bebopteddy

bebopteddy wrote:

The cables worked fine as long as I did not update the software. That is just plain evil, and I am going to buy a different tablet when I am able to. Apple has some nerve creating this issue with a simple cable. Who do they think the are anyway? If you force us to buy your cables, then make them better and longer!

I have a Belkin car charger and an extra long Belkin cable. They both worked fine with my iPhone 5S with iOS 8.1.1 and with my iPhone 6 with iOS 8.1.1.

Make sure your lightning port is clean and free of any debris or pocket fluff. Make sure that there is nothing on the cable itself.

Nov 30, 2014 8:46 AM in response to pogster

I need a cable longer than the cable that came with both devices. I first got my iPhone right before I went on tour in Europe in January of 2013. I used it more or less as a still/video camera while I was there, and I would use it with the wifi in hotels so I could use Skype to call home. When driving with my band from city to city I would take a lot of photos, but the battery life was so poor, even in Airplane mode, that I would have to keep it plugged in on a long ride. The short 3" cable made using the phone to photograph very difficult. Also, while travelling, I often had to leave my phone on the floor to charge because it would not reach any table in the hotel with the chord being so short.

The same is true for my iPad, which I purchased in Germany on that same tour. After market cables from reputable companies used to work....until the IOS 7 updates. As a long-time musician, producer, and guitarist, I am very careful with cables, and I also look for quality. It is not about how cheap a cable is, because I would gladly pay $100 for something that is high quality and that also suits my needs. I look at it in the same way as I do a guitar cable.

Apple cables in general are not the most sturdy. I have had to replace the cable on my Macbook Pro because they wear at the end of the connector...much in the same way the cables for the iPhone/iPad wear out right before the lightening connector no matter how careful you are not to bend them there, or put any stress on them when you position the device on a table. This is less so with my Macbook Air, which with the new design of the cables seems to work much better and last much longer.

Both the iPhone and the iPad should have cables as long as those that are offered for computers, especially the iPad, because it is used like a laptop. The iPad cable is about 39" long, while my Macbook Air cable is about 67".

The Belkin cable which I purchased, is 4' long. It was not cheap, and it is very well-made. All of the cables I purchased before the IOS 7 update are now useless, but this one worked well...until the IOS 8.1.1 update. I began to receive messages that the cable may not be supported when I installed the first IOS 8 update, but the problem worsened with the IOS 8.1.1 update. The cable charges, but I have ro continually unplug it and then plug it back in for it to work. So...overnight, the device may not charge at all. This means that the devil is in the updates, so to speak, and the device is being programmed to reject the cable.

I understand that there is some sort of chip in the lightening connector, and what I suppose is that the cheaper uncertified cables do not work because they have not paid Apple to use this technology. However, from what I can ascertain, the cables produced by Belkin are certified. Belkin is not a fly-by-night company. They certainly can pay Apple for use of this technology, and they have a solid reputation. I think that the answer is plain and simple: Apple wants you to buy their cables, and it makes a cheap cable that does not last long so that you will have to replace them, and when you do, it will have to come from them. You fork out a lot of cash for these devices, but they stick you with lousy cables and few options. Somehow, I think that Steve Jobs would be rolling in his grave.

Nov 30, 2014 9:51 AM in response to bebopteddy

Of course Apple wants you to buy their cables just like Belkin wants you to buy theirs. That's why they are in business. If the claim is OS software updates break the usability then the specs are not being fully met. As for Apple making lousy cables I don't agree with you because from my experience they've held up quite well. I don't baby them, I have extras in my car, in my truck, and one plugged into the USB outlet on my motorcycle. None of them have failed and they certainly do get knocked around. For charging in the house I bought the Apple made 6 footers (2 meters) because the mains outlet was too far for charging on my bedside table. If you need longer than 6' I would suggest you contact Apple and make the request. If there were enough of a demand I'm sure Apple would consider making them. http://www.apple.com/feedback/

From reading news articles it seems Apple is darned if they do, darned if they don't. In the media Apple cables and chargers were being blamed for causing fires but reality was it was the cheap knockoffs or counterfeit products causing the issues. Apple tries to mitigate such issues through chips and a MFi program.

Are Apple made cables and chargers more expensive? Probably so, but if Belkin or others can sell working cables and chargers for less money and still be reliable and safe then all the power to them. You as a consumer have a choice.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Third-party-Lightning-cables-can-damage-your-Appl e-iPhone-5...and-kill-you_id57380

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/06/please-dont-buy-cheap-phone-chargers-and-cable s/

Nov 30, 2014 1:16 PM in response to pogster

Actually, the Belkin cable was not cheap...or cheaply made....and it did work before the software update. When I first purchased the phone, I actually wanted to buy a very heavy-duty cable for $150 that was made to order by an audio company that makes custom speaker cables...but I was travelling soon and did not have the time to wait. By the time I returned I couldn't remember where I had seen it originally.

My problem besides the legnth, is that the rubber sheath over the wire starts to buckle and then roll away from the insulation underneath after a while, right where it meets the plastic housing for the lightening connector. The same thing happenns with my Macbook, right at the connector end, no matter how much I am mindful about bending it at an angle. It's not a humidity issue, because this problem has happened when I lived in FL as well as AZ.

That being said, thank you for the info, because I would very much like to get some sort of longer cable from them, and a 6' would be great

<Edited By Host>

Nov 30, 2014 3:13 PM in response to wegras

Or perhaps it is a bad cable...but that would not explain why it would suddenly be identified by my device as something not compatible...after using it for a number of months without any issues. As I stated before, everything was fine until the last update.

I posted this originally, because I had the same thing happen with another higher end cable, this one 6', that was supposed to be Apple certified. Both my iPhone and iPad suddenly refused to recognize it after the IOS 7 update. It is extremely frustrating having to to experience the same thing again.

I would have not even thought of posting on a forum had I not seen scores of posts by other people online concerning the same issue...so it can't be just me.

Mar 27, 2015 4:39 PM in response to Styaster

I bought two cables as spares that I would use in my car/work. Worked great and here comes iOs upgrade and surprise! Stopped working. Although technically apple has right to do whatever change they want to make to their product but seriously? Why touch cables? Is Apple not aware about whole ecology? And at the end who suffers? The very loyal buyers of Apple products!

Come to some reasonability, Apple!

Apr 23, 2015 3:36 PM in response to pogster

I get it that Apple want people to use certified cables but I dont think that introducing a fix that affects my genuine cables and stops me from charging my

year old iphone 5S is the right answer. The "genius" says the charging slot is corroded but it all worked perfectly fine until 5 days ago when i upgraded to

ios 8.3. The phone worked perfectly and now they say my only option is to replace???? Way to go Apple. Looks like a marketing ploy to me.

Apr 25, 2015 5:09 AM in response to Styaster

I have the same situation as the OP in that my Belkin cables have stopped working.

I got a new MacBook Pro last autumn and, at the same time, the iPhone 5S's Belkin cables stopped working in that the phone just judders frantically in rejection instead of giving me any message. It could be the fact that I went to Mavericks...

The reason I have five Belkin cables is because my family tend to borrow my (original) cable and I DO molly-coddle it (it is kept in ONE location, I never ever twist it, I don't leave it lying around loose and am paranoid about its removal from either device) and STILL it is beginning to bulge slightly.

Is the solution offered (to only buy "certified" cables) truly the end of the story? Just that I have bought others since which were allegedly "certified" and STILL they caused the phone to "judder" so that didn't seem to sort it for me. 😟

iOS 8 did not work with BELKIN Cables !!! (iPhone 5s)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.